Small Plate, or Large Plate?

Options
Time to tackle one of the super-polarizing questions.

Do you use a small plate, or a large plate?

Discuss.

:smiley:

I use small plates, because a small portion looks more satisfying if it's not lost on a giant plate.

Because I prepare mostly casseroles and skillet dinners with lots of vegetables, no starches and moderate protein, I use moderately large bowls because vegetables take a lot of space and the small bowls won't hold the entire serving.

For ice cream and pudding, I bought 6 oz dessert dishes.
For hot cocoa (the packet directions always call for 6 oz water), I searched out 7 oz cups. 6 oz of cocoa in an 11 to 14 oz cup presents a serious case of "glass half full".

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I'm having :)

Desserts go in smaller bowls or on small plates. I like seeing my plate kinda full. If dinner involves veggies - especially roasted ones - then it's big plate. I'll do about half a chicken breast and then load the rest of the plate with ~100g of roasted cabbage. Yum yum.

Most of my cups/mugs are 8 oz, I think. I have larger ones that I use for water only.

~Lyssa
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Most of my meals go in salad bowls. Or big dinner plates. Just because you're eating low calories doesn't mean you have to eat small portions.... I make choices to get big meal's because that's how I like to eat.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Large plate.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I use a large plate because I am a bit OCD about my food touching other food (ie. I need a little free space between kinds of foods on my plate) and I like a 1 inch rim of free space around the inner edge of my plate. That being said... my 'large' plate is 10.5 inches across so really I am using 8-8.5 inches diameter. I like to see the rim design along the edge B). I prefer narrow, deeper bowls to wider, shallower bowls. It just feels like more food if I have to dig deeper in the bowl. Here's an interesting article on glassware: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/life/food/article/Raise-the-right-glass-What-we-sip-from-matters-6315935.php
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Smallest plate that the food I'm eating will fit on. Or a 4-quart bowl for my salad.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Smallest plate that the food I'm eating will fit on. Or a 4-quart bowl for my salad.

:smiley:

My roommate wanted a salad with shredded carrots, shredded cabbage, and broccoli slaw. The serving bowl was the only bowl that would hold everything.

And shopping for lunch containers was frustrating because none of the "lunch salad" boxes hold anything approaching an adequate amount of food.
  • nkluet
    nkluet Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    canadjineh, the link you posted is for subscribers only. Could you give us some highlights from the article?
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Um... Large plate.
  • MissAbbieJay
    MissAbbieJay Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use a small plate, with the food cut up. Like instead of 2 pieces of toast, I cut them in half so my brain is tricked into thinking I'm having 4.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I use a small plate (luncheon sized corelle plates) but my salads are usually served on a big plate, or in a big bowl. I have little bowls that hold exactly 1 cup of cereal or 1/2 cup of cooked oats. I use my food scale still, but I like being able to eat a "whole bowl" of cereal. So that is what I do.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Mostly small, but if I'm having a salad, I use a big bowl.

I don't think it makes a difference, though. I just use small plates because I eat small meals. I could eat the same food off a bigger plate...and sometimes do.

I didn't realize this was a polarizing issue.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Most of my meals go in salad bowls. Or big dinner plates. Just because you're eating low calories doesn't mean you have to eat small portions.... I make choices to get big meal's because that's how I like to eat.

This, except I tend to use plates over bowls even for salads (okay, not for soup or oatmeal).

I don't eat especially low calories now, but even when I did I used regular-sized plates and the volume of my meals didn't decline. It just included a higher proportion of veggies and the veggies had less fat on them. My meals are often taking up the whole plate as is.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    It's not the size of the plate, but how well it holds the food.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I use whichever dish is appropriate for containing the food I am going to eat.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Depends on how much food I intend to put on the plate!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    It's not the size of the plate, but how well it holds the food.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jEw9VBCzUkk
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Depends on what I'm eating but generally a large plate for a meal and a small plate for just a sandwich. Salads go in bowls. Salads on plates are a pet peeve of mine.