mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    mom2kpr wrote: »
    For all of you putting down dieticians. 2 year Associate for a Dietetic Technician or a 4 yr degree for a Registered Dietician isn't enough education for you? It's more then most medical doctors get. And also, for those that said go to someone with years of experience, everyone starts somewhere - we don't graduate from college with years of experience.
    At 44 yrs old I am going back to school to get my AAS Dietetic Technician, because as I've lost weight and gotten healthier, I want to help other people do the same. I could've just said I'm a nutritionist, come see me, even though I have no formal training. But I wanted a real education on the subject.

So do you believe CICO?

Absolutely! Always have & that is the first thing we are being taught when it comes to weight loss. But we are also being taught how to make sure macro/mirco nutrients are being met. Which I still have to work on myself :)

Now I have to question who I was debating with before.

It must be someone else. I haven't debated anyone about this. I just started my classes this summer.

She tried to say the field realizes that CICO doesn't work and the intuitive eating should be pushed more.
    Her favorite quote was "Humans are not robots" follow by "stop talking to me about CICO." Maybe now I question that schools undergrad dietitian program now too.

Wow. That's complete opposite of what I've learned so far. Which is only an into class. I guess I'll have to see what the next year brings.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    For all of you putting down dieticians. 2 year Associate for a Dietetic Technician or a 4 yr degree for a Registered Dietician isn't enough education for you? It's more then most medical doctors get. And also, for those that said go to someone with years of experience, everyone starts somewhere - we don't graduate from college with years of experience.
    At 44 yrs old I am going back to school to get my AAS Dietetic Technician, because as I've lost weight and gotten healthier, I want to help other people do the same. I could've just said I'm a nutritionist, come see me, even though I have no formal training. But I wanted a real education on the subject.

So do you believe CICO?

Absolutely! Always have & that is the first thing we are being taught when it comes to weight loss. But we are also being taught how to make sure macro/mirco nutrients are being met. Which I still have to work on myself :)

Now I have to question who I was debating with before.

It must be someone else. I haven't debated anyone about this. I just started my classes this summer.

She tried to say the field realizes that CICO doesn't work and the intuitive eating should be pushed more.
    Her favorite quote was "Humans are not robots" follow by "stop talking to me about CICO." Maybe now I question that schools undergrad dietitian program now too.

Wow. That's complete opposite of what I've learned so far. Which is only an into class. I guess I'll have to see what the next year brings.

This person I speak of is about to graduate. I was like :noway:.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options

Sorry, what doctors are you going to? Doctors do undergrad, then medical school and residency... which is 6 years. That's just for an MD, not a specialty... now, if you're talking chiropractor...that's different. not an MD.

• yopeeps025
    Options
    aippolito1 wrote: »

Sorry, what doctors are you going to? Doctors do undergrad, then medical school and residency... which is 6 years. That's just for an MD, not a specialty... now, if you're talking chiropractor...that's different. not an MD.

She meant in the field of nutrition doctors don't usually get a lot of higher education of the matter.
  • hanksmom79
    hanksmom79 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I gained 20 pounds doing "intuitive eating". My body told me it intuitively wanted donuts & fries & lots of beer :D Off in a jiffy when I went back to CICO.

• jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I have a great dietician in Toronto. Works with a number of sports teams and professional athletes. Really gets it. Private message me if you want the name and number.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    hanksmom79 wrote: »

I gained 20 pounds doing "intuitive eating". My body told me it intuitively wanted donuts & fries & lots of beer :D Off in a jiffy when I went back to CICO.

[/quote]

I got to the point I knew my CICO would make her boil a little. Some of our conversations were for entertainment.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    aippolito1 wrote: »

She meant in the field of nutrition doctors don't usually get a lot of higher education of the matter.

This.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, a dietitian is different than a nutritionist. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionists in most areas, but dietitian requires meeting certain specific requirements.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    It doesn't take a tremendous amount of brainpower to be aware of the minimums for protein and dietary fat, or to understand the basics of TDEE, or the importance of predominating your diet with a variety of whole foods. You don't need to hire a dietician for this... You just need to read more and be cautious of accepting things at face value without proper evidence/research.

Also, composing a rational diet is rather simple but too many people focus on individual foods. Any individual food, sans dose and the context of total daily intake, is largely irrelevant to the outcome of one's diet. In other words, the names of the foods you eat do not determine the outcome of your diet. Rather, it's total daily intake of all foods that matters.