A tiny tip I thought I would share

Options
So lately when I am craving something that will send me flying over my calorie limit or is just plain bad for me to have that day (or any day), as soon as I identify it, I write whatever it is down and say to myself "When I am at my goal weight, if I still want it, I can have it." For whatever reason, it allows me to move on without giving in. In fact I move on almost as soon as I jot it down.

It just hit me how helpful doing this has been, and people are often asking for tips to help them stay on task, so I thought I would share it in case it helps anyone else power through a craving.

Replies

• ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I kinda do this. If I really want something, I'll tell myself, I can't make it fit today, but if I still want it tomorrow, I'll make it fit. And I usually never do bc I don't want to eat something high calorie and then be hungry later.
  • porsiempre31
    porsiempre31 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Funny how we all do it differently but still are aiming for the same goal! If I can't fit it in my calories that day then I immediately have it the next because if I don't then I will obsess over it and I make it worse when I finally do eat it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm glad it seems to be working for you but. I think I'm confused. What of your goal weight is 6-9 months away? Are you just going to give up on a snack you really like for a year?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I'm glad it seems to be working for you but. I think I'm confused. What of your goal weight is 6-9 months away? Are you just going to give up on a snack you really like for a year?

Yeah, I couldn't do that. Even if I tried, I'm sure I'd end up throwing in the towel on it and binge on it. It's better for me to just work those things into my calorie goal with moderation. I'd be too miserable without the foods I love.
  • diane1223
    diane1223 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Good tip! I think allowing yourself a treat at least once a week is okay...I have gotten in the habit of picking up candy bars every chance I got. That is one reason my weight has gotten out of control. I'm going to allow myself to have one every now and then. Hopefully, I won't want one-eating healthy makes me feel better! I actually had my 5 servings of fruit and veggies today! :)
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Or...If I crave the food, I eat it in moderation and make up for the excess calories the next day with exercise. Closing in on 6 months in with 3 lbs. to goal and 57 lbs. gone!!!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    115Everest wrote: »
    So lately when I am craving something that will send me flying over my calorie limit or is just plain bad for me to have that day (or any day), as soon as I identify it, I write whatever it is down and say to myself "When I am at my goal weight, if I still want it, I can have it." For whatever reason, it allows me to move on without giving in. In fact I move on almost as soon as I jot it down.

It just hit me how helpful doing this has been, and people are often asking for tips to help them stay on task, so I thought I would share it in case it helps anyone else power through a craving.

That's a great idea, but you don't have to wait until you are at your goal weight! Fit it in the next day or two or three, that is, if you still want it by then. Besides, if you have the mentality that once you are at your goal weight, you can eat whatever you want, guess what. You'll gain every pound you worked so hard to lose back, plus a few more. Been there, done that. Never again!
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Nice tip, I will keep it in mind
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    What happens when you reach your goal weight? What's the plan for not bingeing on everything on the list then?
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Funny how we all do it differently but still are aiming for the same goal! If I can't fit it in my calories that day then I immediately have it the next because if I don't then I will obsess over it and I make it worse when I finally do eat it.

This is me.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time. Sometimes I'm like, "When I'm done, I can indulge once in a while, not yet."

Other times, when it's really bad, I decide to have it the next day if I really, really want it. Next day comes and I'm like, "Tomorrow."

I've been promising myself I'll have a Dunkin Donuts muffin tomorrow for weeks now. Each day, I mean it. Each day, I put it off. Eventually, the desire will pass and I'll move on to some other treat and then I'll put that off. :)
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options

I did. 9 months from 218 to 118. It is amazing how learning that you don't really need everything you think you want can change your life.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    triciab79 wrote: »

I did. 9 months from 218 to 118. It is amazing how learning that you don't really need everything you think you want can change your life.

By the same token it's amazing when you learn how to eat reasonably all the things you love.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

By the same token it's amazing when you learn how to eat reasonably all the things you love.

So true. The sooner one learns that, the better.
  • Bambalina22
    Bambalina22 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I needed to read this yesterday! I did so well all day until the hubby suggested takeaway for dinner... 440 calls over my goal
  • 115Everest
    115Everest Posts: 31 Member
    Options

OMG, Tricia - Amazing. And where did you get that adorable black & white swimsuit on Huffpost? I want one!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Agree!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

Yeah, I couldn't do that. Even if I tried, I'm sure I'd end up throwing in the towel on it and binge on it. It's better for me to just work those things into my calorie goal with moderation. I'd be too miserable without the foods I love.

Yep,.... same as this^^.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I eat what I want when I want but in reasonable portions..no way I am waiting for my chocolate...or poutine or pizza or drinks etc. I am living life while losing weight the same way I prefer to live my life at maintenance.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

That's what I do. I don't always have things the very moment I want them, but the next day or so? Sure, I can usually work them in. I'm figuring out how to eat for the rest of my life here.

I look at dieting like a look at our family budget. Maintenance will be just like getting a raise in income. The thing is I don't suddenly start living when I get to that point. I'm already living now and spending money (calories) on that life in the here and now. I'll just have more money (calories) to spend when I get to maintenance. I want to enjoy the life I'm living and make the most of the budget I have since I'm pretty good at budgeting.