New Journey need Nutrition Advice

Options
Fit4me78
Fit4me78 Posts: 27 Member
Hey guys I'm putting myself on a strict diet and need Nutrition advice, few months ago I did a Gluten Free Diet and it was going great until I fell off the wagon well it's come to a point where I'm going back on a Gluten Free Diet and seriously watch what I eat and etc, the reason I'm doing this is I'm tired of the way I look and always feeling so tired all the time, plus I'm wanting to set a good example for my son so he doesn't go down the path I did when I was his age. Below are some of the foods I like to eat and etc. Once Again I will not join beachbody I'm wanting to this all on my own and without the help of a program.

I like Yogurt, Banana's, Strawberries, Grapes, Salads, High Fiber Oatmeal, Cereal Bars, Chicken, Pretzels twists, and Pretzels filled with Peanut Butter, Protein Shakes, and etc

Please feel free to add me as a friend an I will do the same in return.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    lisatx1978 wrote: »
    Hey guys I'm putting myself on a strict diet and need Nutrition advice, few months ago I did a Gluten Free Diet and it was going great until I fell off the wagon well it's come to a point where I'm going back on a Gluten Free Diet and seriously watch what I eat and etc, the reason I'm doing this is I'm tired of the way I look and always feeling so tired all the time, plus I'm wanting to set a good example for my son so he doesn't go down the path I did when I was his age. Below are some of the foods I like to eat and etc. Once Again I will not join beachbody I'm wanting to this all on my own and without the help of a program.

I like Yogurt, Banana's, Strawberries, Grapes, Salads, High Fiber Oatmeal, Cereal Bars, Chicken, Pretzels twists, and Pretzels filled with Peanut Butter, Protein Shakes, and etc

Please feel free to add me as a friend an I will do the same in return.

Why do you think you fell off the wagon and what do you think you will do differently this time to prevent yourself from falling off the wagon again?

Is there a reason you're avoiding Gluten?
  • gainthatmuscle
    gainthatmuscle Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Are you wanting a particular diet? Do you workout? What kind of workout do.you do because that is very important.

Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Why are you avoiding Gluten? Unless you have a medically diagnosed condition that makes you unable to process gluten then it really isn't something you need to avoid.

You can eat whatever you like but not everything will leave you filling full for the amount you can eat and stay within your calories. Bananas for instance are 89 calories for every 100g and Strawberries are 43 calories for 100g. You could eat twice as much strawberries for the same calories. Grapes are another higher calorie fruit at 67 cal per 100g. I am not seeing a lot of veggies in your list. They are the best fillers out there. Broccoli has 34 cal for 100 g. Lettuce has 15 cal for 100g. Pretzels filled with peanut butter have about 500 cal per 100g. Hopefully this gives you a bit of an idea of how to build a program but feel free to message me if you need something more specific to follow.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It posted my message twice and won't let me delete it so I am editing instead
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Weight loss advice? Calories in should be less than calories out. Log everything you eat accurately. Be honest with yourself.

Nutritional advice? Hit your macronutrient levels. Follow your doctor's orders if you have a medical problem.

Health and sanity advice? Eat what you feel like, in moderation, keeping in mind your calorie limit and macros. Foods are neither good nor evil.

Be nice to yourself. Don't believe everything you think. Best wishes!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, why no gluten? I don't care, but it would be helpful to know if there's a medical reason or you mean no grains because you lack self control with them or if you've read that gluten causes weight gain for reasons other than calories (which is not true).
    lisatx1978 wrote: »
    the reason I'm doing this is I'm tired of the way I look and always feeling so tired all the time, plus I'm wanting to set a good example for my son so he doesn't go down the path I did when I was his age....

Have you figured out why you fell off the wagon?

One thing that I found really helpful this time was thinking of it that way--all or nothing. I had certain plans for how I'd eat and exercise, but I tried to keep in mind that we are talking about a change for a lifetime and that losing the weight would be a process, and that I'm human so won't be perfect every day. Fitting in the ability to go off plan on occasion and the ability to forgive myself for it was important so I'd see it as a small deviation that could be dealt with in the week or just moved past and not a reason to say "oh, forget it, I'll have to start again later and then go crazy."

Another thing is that overdoing it can lead to binging or just giving up. Sometimes thinking of a simpler, slower approach is the best way to make it sustainable for the long haul.

Anyway, what I did was think about how I ate (and wrote it down too), and identify what things I liked and would want to keep (foods, restaurant visits), and what things I did merely because of thoughtlessness or poor planning and could easily be improved.

For me it was helpful to decide upon a standard breakfast that would be filling and that I could consistently make. I usually don't care about variety in the morning and easiness in the morning is usually important for people. For me it's important that breakfast include a good amount of protein and veggies, as that makes it more filling, but lots of people have different ideas on what works for them, so think about what you would enjoy and find filling.

For lunch it's easier for me to generally plan for the week and make lunches ahead. When I don't (lately I've been bad at this, I was much more consistent when I was actively losing), I have some places where I buy lunches that meet my nutrition preferences and calorie needs.

For dinners I think about the week ahead and build everything around a chosen protein of the night (which I will make sure is on hand and defrosted in advance, say some chicken) and then my vegetables, and then I add in some extras based on what seems to go and tastes good. What I found was that when I planned well enough and was flexible enough to be able to make up a dinner with what I had in the refrigerator it made things easy for me.