Inches and pounds...always decrease on different days!

Options
MamaBirdBoss
MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm somewhat bemused by this. If I hit a new lower number in weight, I almost never hit a new lower number on the measuring tape anywhere the same day. But I can lose up to an INCH overnight in certain areas...that pretty much stays off permanently when there was a higher number on the scale than yesterday.

Also, I never measured daily before except while I was bulking years ago--I'm just doing it for fun now--and my measurements in a certain area will be between a sixteenth of an inch, maybe an eighth (and I generally don't record any difference smaller than 1/2") for days, and then the next day, suddenly, one part will jump half an inch smaller. And JUST one or two areas. It's not gradual or consistent at all. Not any more gradual than the scale it!

I find that somewhat bemusing, especially when you're talking about an arm or calf or thigh or rib cage, which doesn't really vary with food.

When I bulked, though, it WAS very gradual and consistent.

Strange....

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You are doing well. Get used to inconsistency. B)
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    And I've lost a quarter-inch in my wrists, too--6" even now.
  • JeffLauniere
    JeffLauniere Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Measurements and weights fluctuate constantly. I find I will often lose 1 -2 pounds in a day, then usually gain 0.6 or so one day, maybe 0.2 then next, then will then have another big loss. It has been going on like this for the last 51 pounds that I have lost. Measurements fluctuate from day to day also. I like to do my weights daily, as it lets me remember not to get discouraged when I have some temporary weight gain.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhat bemused by this. If I hit a new lower number in weight, I almost never hit a new lower number on the measuring tape anywhere the same day. But I can lose up to an INCH overnight in certain areas...that pretty much stays off permanently when there was a higher number on the scale than yesterday.

Also, I never measured daily before except while I was bulking years ago--I'm just doing it for fun now--and my measurements in a certain area will be between a sixteenth of an inch, maybe an eighth (and I generally don't record any difference smaller than 1/2") for days, and then the next day, suddenly, one part will jump half an inch smaller. And JUST one or two areas. It's not gradual or consistent at all. Not any more gradual than the scale it!

I find that somewhat bemusing, especially when you're talking about an arm or calf or thigh or rib cage, which doesn't really vary with food.

When I bulked, though, it WAS very gradual and consistent.

Strange....

I've been having the same observation. I do my logged tape measurements weekly, but some I've been spot checking more frequently. Scale weight and tape measurements just don't line up neatly at all. :(

This morning's scale weight was actually about a pound and a half higher than the previous couple days, but I lost a belt notch under my waist. Checked with the tape and it did go down. No sense why, the body does what it does.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Today, no scale loss. But I lost another half inch on my hips, belly, AND thighs. I'm down 3.5" in my belly (not waist) total over this month--thank goodness!!!!! Now my belly doesn't touch my thighs unless I lean forward. (Next stop: no touching at all unless I REALLY bend!)