Tips & Tricks to help maintain correct form during Lifting free weights

Options
I'm new to strength training (I've bought Dumbbells). Does anyone have any tips and tricks they use to maintain correct form while lifting? What strategies do you use to prevent injury?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Read guides and watch videos... I wouldn't really say there is any "tips or tricks". You either get the form right, or you don't.

If you're worried about your form, have a friend video you doing the exercise and post it here or at reddit/r/formcheck.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Don't start to heavy. I know the urge is to hit the weights hard and push your self but start with weights that are relatively easy to do and add in small increments each workout. 5lbs or less.

You WILL get stronger and most importantly you will learn good form and strengthen the muscles needed to maintain that form.

Then if you want you can push your self for PRs and up the intensity. And even when your form falters the strength you have developed will help protect you from injury.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I have never had any 'training' as such but enjoy lifting and have never had any injuries. I watch a lot of YouTube videos and take all the advice I can. I am sensible about the amount I can lift and don't go any higher than I can without breaking good form. I also watch the other guys in the gym and ask advice from the PT's. I have recently started getting the PT's to take videos and ask for critiques (apparently my form's better than I thought!)
  • healthkickkath1
    healthkickkath1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks Isaack, I'm googling form now
    Thanks Drew, great advice! I'm starting with 5 lb Dumbbells and practising until I get form right.
    Thanks Karen, I like the stay sensible with amount you can lift idea, that's great that you've got good feedback on your form, good job!