Cayenne pepper boost metabolism ect

Options
br3adman
br3adman Posts: 284 Member
I figured i would share this with you. Ive been taking two cayenne gelcaps a day and eating about a teaspoon in my yogurt with cinnamon. Ive actually lost the most weight since sept when i started my diet. 5.4 pounds last week 5.9 this week. I also started juicing veggies and apples and drink 1 cup a day this week. Usually i avarage 2.5 pounds per week. I do feel less hungry since i started. I'm just sharing my experience. Half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper either mixed in food or swallowed in a capsule helped normal-weight young adults burn about 10 more calories over a four-hour period, compared to eating the same meal but without the red pepper.

Pepper also decreased appetite. http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/news/20110427/cayenne-pepper-may-burn-calories-curb-appetite

Replies

• PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    10 calories over a 4-hour period seems pretty negligible compared to just walking around or marching in place as you eat, instead.
  • br3adman
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    10 calories over a 4-hour period seems pretty negligible compared to just walking around or marching in place as you eat, instead.

I think that's just what your body burns naturally. The study says the people also ate 66 calories less food. So less appitite.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I love cayenne pepper and dried chilli powder! I add it all my veggies as I stir fry them, I don't think it does a lot other than taste amazing though.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I love cayenne pepper and dried chilli powder! I add it all my veggies as I stir fry them, I don't think it does a lot other than taste amazing though.
    The article does say that it is for people who 'aren't used to it'. You'd be outta luck on the advantage, then.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Instead of relying on fads, myths, and miracle cures... why not focus on a diet rich with whole nutritious foods, without overeating, while incorporating a lot of activity such as sports, running, or weightlifting?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    ..um.....no..,.eat at a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight. No fads needed
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I cannot tell you how many people have encouraged me to eat spicier food to lose weight faster.

It hasn't worked for me, but is something a LOT of people - especially foreigners who eat much spicier than we tend to - believe works for them.

They've determined that it didn't work for me because I am not able to eat food that is served with the hottest peppers, etc. I cannot argue that, lol. I suspect that it's not true, but to prove it would require eating stuff it can't eat.

Good luck with your spices. :)
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    Just common sense, but if you eat spicy food, and your taste buds are absolutely on fire, then doesn't that mean you will need a long rest from food, rely on a ton of water... and therefore lose weight because you are in a caloric deficit from not eating as much?

Mind.... BLOWN!
  • ireadlabelsdammit
    ireadlabelsdammit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I read about this a few years back and tried the capsules (I'm not a fan of spicy food). So, I want to offer a warning: your throat will burn when the capsule opens!!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I can't open the cayenne pepper bottle without burning nose hairs.
    ew.gif

If it works for you, OP, keep on keeping on then.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I live in NM and I eat spicy food all of the time, including cayenne...still got fat.

10 more calories over a 4 hour period? Big fecking deal.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Instead of relying on fads, myths, and miracle cures... why not focus on a diet rich with whole nutritious foods, without overeating, while incorporating a lot of activity such as sports, running, or weightlifting?

Common sense is a rare commodity now as the majority population became minions of instant gratification and instant results.
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    MasterVal wrote: »
    sixxpoint wrote: »

Common sense is a rare commodity now as the majority population became minions of instant gratification and instant results.

You sir, know what is up!
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    All that did was give me horrible heart burn and make me cry every time I had to go #2.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    All that did was give me horrible heart burn and make me cry every time I had to go #2.

ouch
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I think if I stirred a teaspoon of pepper in to my yoghurt every day I would be vomiting up a lot more than 60 calories worth of food. That sounds disgusting.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I think if I stirred a teaspoon of pepper in to my yoghurt every day I would be vomiting up a lot more than 60 calories worth of food. That sounds disgusting.

I gigglesnorted. I was like...in the yogurt!?!? Hurlbags.

OP, it sounds like it's working for you, while it may or may not be a fad, at least it's still food as opposed to glorious shakes sold by coaches! Good luck!
  • jonrenly
    jonrenly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love spicy food but eugh at adding cayenne to random things like yogurt. I tried that lemon + cayenne water thing for a week or so and didnt feel anything except nauseousness.
  • br3adman
    Options

Lol the dairy in yogurt helps the "Burn" its not that bad. I've also put it in applesauce with cinnamon.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    jonrenly wrote: »
    I love spicy food but eugh at adding cayenne to random things like yogurt. I tried that lemon + cayenne water thing for a week or so and didnt feel anything except nauseousness.

Shocker!