Iced coffee addicts

Options
2»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,933 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sugar -> Splenda is an easy sub; but, by the sounds of it you have to cut down on your milk.

Or accept that the milk for your coffee is a major staple of your diet and work it in your calories.

So... try to make your coffee with just water and instead of so much skim milk use a much lesser quantity of 10% cream (like 40 calories or so). (The cream add mouth feel)

Or use a tiny amount of vanilla ice cream.... Just make sure that whatever you use is less Cal than the milk you used before and keep reducing gradually.

I am now drinking my ice coffee with no sweetener whatsoever and about 0.25 cup skim milk per 24 oz cup (of course half is ice anyway).

I started (many years ago) with half ice cream and half coffee....

Does it taste the same....no! Is it good enough... yes!
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    kelliemlr wrote: »
    I've calorie counted in the past and it's always worked for me so I recently started logging again and have lost around 3kg (6.6 pounds) in the past 3 weeks. I'm a huge coffee fan but I only drink iced coffees, I used to drink three a day but have cut back to two. I thought it would slowly get easier and I'd adjust to the change but I'm finding my cravings are getting worse. To make my coffees I use: 1 tsp sugar, 2 tsp Nescafé Blend 43, and 375ml lite milk - totalling 200 cals. I know skim milk is another option which would bring it down another 15 cals or so. I'm also working on cutting out the tsp of sugar which would help with my daily sugar goal as well.

Anyone else in the same boat that can't kick their iced coffee habit? What do you drink/eat instead? I don't like fizzy drinks so Coke zero/diet Coke aren't an option for me.

Unless you are getting your calcium and protein somewhere else, stick with your iced coffee the way you are making it. With a 3 kg weight loss in 3 weeks, you are doing fine :)

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Maybe just make your two iced coffees a little bit stronger instead of having three. There are barely any calories in coffee itself.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,933 Member
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    Unless you are getting your calcium and protein somewhere else, stick with your iced coffee the way you are making it. With a 3 kg weight loss in 3 weeks, you are doing fine :)
    That too!
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If you brew some strong coffee and blend it with some ice, half a cup of almond milk (15-20 calories) some artificial sweetener and vanilla extract, you can make an ice-coffee that tastes alright for 20 calories :)
  • kmlr64
    kmlr64 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the ideas and tips! I'll definitely have to give almond milk a try. I'm starting tomorrow without the usual teaspoon of sugar in both my coffees. The milk is definitely my main source of calcium and I always log in advance to allow for my coffees so it's not a big drama, just wanting to get some ideas which I definitely did!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Heavy cream is a great way to add fat into your diet with coffee.

I guess you are not a hot coffee gal but I have a keto like coffee 1 x a day 4 days a week. I get a hot coffee from mcds then I bring it home add stevia add coconut milk or almond milk a smidge and a 5bsp or two of coconut oil and I blend in blender it is fabulous! I love it and I get my fats in its 235 cals bc of the oil but I stay full for most of the morning. I can always work it in my cals for day.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I love iced coffe too and have gotten used to 1 c. Coffee with 1/2 c. Unsweetened Silk Almond/Coconut milk blend. It's only 35 cal/cup and makes the coffee a bit lighter than almond milk alone.

I cut out the sweeteners cold turkey. I didn't want added sugar and the artificial stuff led to cravings and bowel "issues", for me.

I just used refrigerated auto-drip brewed coffee but there's a particular way to make COLD BREWED coffee that gives it a mellow taste so you might not need all that extra stuff.
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of cals for an iced coffee! I make mine with a few drops of stevia, some vanilla extract, cinnamon, and half a cup of 2% milk, which is all about 70 calories.

Be careful with almond milk; I find that it breaks apart in coffee, so stick to milk or heavy cream.
  • fishcat123
    fishcat123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I like mine black or with a splash of almond milk. I like to cold press mine in a French press and it turns out delicious.