A Constant Struggle While Dieting Around Family Members

Options
I'm trying to manage my diet by eating whatever food I want but in smaller portions. It is really hard when I'm eating a chocolate granola bar and my father tells me I will get fat from eating it because it contains chocolate. I have tried to tell him about the calorie intake situation but it does not get through to his head. It is very frustrating when my family sees me eating other junk like ice cream and they will be like "but aren't you on a diet?" I have to keep explaining myself to them, but they dont listen, you know what, SCREW IT.

That's my rant. <3

Replies

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    Solution, don't tell 'em you're "dieting" and don't talk about your "diet" with them. Makes it easier on you. Kinda like when you were a teenager & didn't want them in your business. :)
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    When you start losing weight they will understand! Just keep going
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Just tell them "no I am not on a diet anymore" and then dont say anything to them ever about your eating/food. If/when they point out your weight loss - just say "oh i didnt notice".
  • kitkatkarr
    kitkatkarr Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Solution, don't tell 'em you're "dieting" and don't talk about your "diet" with them. Makes it easier on you. Kinda like when you were a teenager & didn't want them in your business. :)

Thank you! I've decided to stop explaining myself to others unless they're actually interested and curious.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Yes! Screw it!
    Unless you're hurting yourself it's not their business what you eat.
    Just tell them you are no longer discussing your food choices and then-no longer discuss them;-)
  • kitkatkarr
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »
    Just tell them "no I am not on a diet anymore" and then dont say anything to them ever about your eating/food. If/when they point out your weight loss - just say "oh i didnt notice".

Wow dude, yea because dieting is a hard journey after all. I agree with you, I need to shut up about my dieting and just do me. It is a very personal thing to me.
  • Shreshy
    Shreshy Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    kitkatkarr wrote: »
    I'm trying to manage my diet by eating whatever food I want but in smaller portions. It is really hard when I'm eating a chocolate granola bar and my father tells me I will get fat from eating it because it contains chocolate. I have tried to tell him about the calorie intake situation but it does not get through to his head. It is very frustrating when my family sees me eating other junk like ice cream and they will be like "but aren't you on a diet?" I have to keep explaining myself to them, but they dont listen, you know what, SCREW IT.

That's my rant. <3

I can relate to this. I used to be really overweight and my brother is a fitness fanatic and would always judge me whenever I would eat junk and make stupid remarks about my body but I just ignored him and kept on doing what I wanted the way I wanted to do it. It doesn't matter what u eat as long as you exercise and eat in moderation. They don't get that but once I proved them wrong and lost 10kgs they never made a remark about my food intake again. You just have to ignore them and prove them wrong. You just do you , boo <3

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Explaining yourself sends the message that it is their business and rewards their behavior. So either stop discussing it or start taking bets.
  • kitkatkarr
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Shreshy wrote: »
    kitkatkarr wrote: »

That's my rant. <3

I can relate to this. I used to be really overweight and my brother is a fitness fanatic and would always judge me whenever I would eat junk and make stupid remarks about my body but I just ignored him and kept on doing what I wanted the way I wanted to do it. It doesn't matter what u eat as long as you exercise and eat in moderation. They don't get that but once I proved them wrong and lost 10kgs they never made a remark about my food intake again. You just have to ignore them and prove them wrong. You just do you , boo <3

<3<3<3<3
    Explaining yourself sends the message that it is their business and rewards their behavior. So either stop discussing it or start taking bets.

Yea, no bets for me sir. <3

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

+1

I don't complain or explain or listen to comments about my diet/body. Shut it down.