Vegetarians, I need your help!

Options
2»

Replies

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Hi I haven't read all the posts but I can say this. 30 pounds in three months is totally doable. you don't even need to live with hunger if you eat well and eat enough. You don't need to cut calories a lot to lose 30 pounds. I did it.

As to recipes. Learn to eat beans and lentils and stuff like that.

Last year i was big on the soups. Mediterranean cuisine has a lot of good ways with them.
    Indian cuisine is great with them also.

AT the moment I am experimenting with rissoles/burgers/patties and I'm really enjoying myself.

This is the basic recipe and you can vary it a lot from there. It should make enough for two or three meals. They also make great snacks.

1 cup or 1 can of cooked lentils or beans or chickpeas.
    1 medium finely chopped onion/shallots
    1-2 cloves of garlic
    2 tbsp of seeds or nuts, especially pumpkin seeds
    1 tsp dried herbs or some type of spices such as cumin or whatever.
    optional - add in other vegies like grated carrot, zucchini, chopped parsley or other fresh herbs.
    good pinch of salt

Blend all

add 1 egg

Mix.

add about 2/3 to 1 cup of wholemeal flour or breadcrumbs.

Mix. It will be sticky but not sloppy. Test for saltiness. Add more if it tastes bland. It won't be yummy at this point but you should be able to determine the salt level. when you are eating them, they should not taste bland. If bland, there's not enough salt.

pick up dessertspoon of mix and drop it into a bowl of flour. Coat and roll into a ball.

Put peanut oil (because its nice) into a heavy based frypan. A fair bit, no need to be shy. Heat on mid heat. drop in balls and flatten with egg flip. Cook to brown on each side.

Recently i've just started making my own pasta. Why don't you have a go. Its not difficult and its fun and yummy. I was inspired by watching them doing it on masterchef. I don't use a machine. I just roll it out. The key thing is get the right flour. 00 italian flour is what to use for pasta. My first batch i made spinach and pumpkin pasta.

There are some tips around to make it better than just mixing and cutting. but my hands are all tired out now so look at a few videos on pasta making.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    We aren't vegetarian, but I like making frequent meatless meals. My go to for a busy day after work is black bean soup. Two cans of black beans, rinsed. About 2 1/2c veg broth. 1/2 to 1c salsa of choice- we keep is milder because of the toddler. 1tbs minced garlic. 1tsp ground cumin. Throw it all in a pot after starting rice and let it heat through. Once cooked, blend with immersion blender or stand blender. Serve over rice. We add cojita cheese crumbles for saltiness and bite.
  • McMomma02
    McMomma02 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Hi I haven't read all the posts but I can say this. 30 pounds in three months is totally doable. you don't even need to live with hunger if you eat well and eat enough. You don't need to cut calories a lot to lose 30 pounds. I did it.

As to recipes. Learn to eat beans and lentils and stuff like that.

Last year i was big on the soups. Mediterranean cuisine has a lot of good ways with them.
    Indian cuisine is great with them also.

AT the moment I am experimenting with rissoles/burgers/patties and I'm really enjoying myself.

This is the basic recipe and you can vary it a lot from there. It should make enough for two or three meals. They also make great snacks.

1 cup or 1 can of cooked lentils or beans or chickpeas.
    1 medium finely chopped onion/shallots
    1-2 cloves of garlic
    2 tbsp of seeds or nuts, especially pumpkin seeds
    1 tsp dried herbs or some type of spices such as cumin or whatever.
    optional - add in other vegies like grated carrot, zucchini, chopped parsley or other fresh herbs.
    good pinch of salt

Blend all

add 1 egg

Mix.

add about 2/3 to 1 cup of wholemeal flour or breadcrumbs.

Mix. It will be sticky but not sloppy. Test for saltiness. Add more if it tastes bland. It won't be yummy at this point but you should be able to determine the salt level. when you are eating them, they should not taste bland. If bland, there's not enough salt.

pick up dessertspoon of mix and drop it into a bowl of flour. Coat and roll into a ball.

Put peanut oil (because its nice) into a heavy based frypan. A fair bit, no need to be shy. Heat on mid heat. drop in balls and flatten with egg flip. Cook to brown on each side.

Recently i've just started making my own pasta. Why don't you have a go. Its not difficult and its fun and yummy. I was inspired by watching them doing it on masterchef. I don't use a machine. I just roll it out. The key thing is get the right flour. 00 italian flour is what to use for pasta. My first batch i made spinach and pumpkin pasta.

There are some tips around to make it better than just mixing and cutting. but my hands are all tired out now so look at a few videos on pasta making.

Thank you, thank you, thank you love!
  • McMomma02
    Options
    kramrn77 wrote: »
    We aren't vegetarian, but I like making frequent meatless meals. My go to for a busy day after work is black bean soup. Two cans of black beans, rinsed. About 2 1/2c veg broth. 1/2 to 1c salsa of choice- we keep is milder because of the toddler. 1tbs minced garlic. 1tsp ground cumin. Throw it all in a pot after starting rice and let it heat through. Once cooked, blend with immersion blender or stand blender. Serve over rice. We add cojita cheese crumbles for saltiness and bite.

Mmmm, so trying this love! Do you think goat feta would work?
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. It would sub fine! I just happen to have a block of cojita that I am trying to work my way through so I always use that.
  • labbielove
    labbielove Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    DH is veg, I'm an omnivore but eat about 80% vegetarian. One thing that's helped a lot is to use beans. I buy dried black beans and cook them in a crockpot (without soaking them) you can google this and it's so easy. Then I freeze 1.5 cups per baggie and they're ready to go when I need them for a recipe. I make batches of black bean enchilada filling, use brown lentils for taco filling, baked tofu slabs are delicious in sandwiches. Check out skinnytaste, no meat athlete, kalyns kitchen, oh she glows websites are just a few of my favorites. Go to the library and check out vegetarian cookbooks. My favorite for flexible recipes is Veganomicon and any of the Moosewood recipes.
    When you make vegetarian lasagna, use silken tofu as part of the ricotta filling to boost the protein content.
    Another trick is to use pureed white beans as a base for "cream" sauce- it's wonderful over pasta or spaghetti squash when mixed with diced tomatoes or any of your favorite ingredients. I also really like to use nutritional yeast flakes ground up to sprinkle on anything- roasted veggies, popcorn, etc. to up the flavor and protein content. It's got a nutty/cheesy taste and vegans use it for "cheese" sauce, but we do eat real cheese also. Easy snacks are a hard boiled egg, yogurt, cottage cheese mixed with fruit, or pumpkin puree with cinnamon, etc.
    Good luck to you!
  • McMomma02
    Options
    kramrn77 wrote: »
    Oh yeah. It would sub fine! I just happen to have a block of cojita that I am trying to work my way through so I always use that.

Very nice! Thank you love! <3
  • McMomma02
    Options
    labbielove wrote: »
    DH is veg, I'm an omnivore but eat about 80% vegetarian. One thing that's helped a lot is to use beans. I buy dried black beans and cook them in a crockpot (without soaking them) you can google this and it's so easy. Then I freeze 1.5 cups per baggie and they're ready to go when I need them for a recipe. I make batches of black bean enchilada filling, use brown lentils for taco filling, baked tofu slabs are delicious in sandwiches. Check out skinnytaste, no meat athlete, kalyns kitchen, oh she glows websites are just a few of my favorites. Go to the library and check out vegetarian cookbooks. My favorite for flexible recipes is Veganomicon and any of the Moosewood recipes.
    When you make vegetarian lasagna, use silken tofu as part of the ricotta filling to boost the protein content.
    Another trick is to use pureed white beans as a base for "cream" sauce- it's wonderful over pasta or spaghetti squash when mixed with diced tomatoes or any of your favorite ingredients. I also really like to use nutritional yeast flakes ground up to sprinkle on anything- roasted veggies, popcorn, etc. to up the flavor and protein content. It's got a nutty/cheesy taste and vegans use it for "cheese" sauce, but we do eat real cheese also. Easy snacks are a hard boiled egg, yogurt, cottage cheese mixed with fruit, or pumpkin puree with cinnamon, etc.
    Good luck to you!

Thank you so much for this love! I really appreciate your ideas with the crockpot! Makes this heat easier to cook in. I've never heard of nutritional yeast flakes, I'll have to Google it. Would I be able to get it a my local grocery store or do I have to get it from the health foods? Thanks again for everything! <3
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I really love Indian vegetarian recipes because they are high in protein, very easy on the hip pocket and flavoursome. The Indian culture is also a massive veteran at vegetarian cuisine because of its thousand plus years of evolution, so the depth of flavour really shines. There's also a big use of pulses and dairy such as yoghurt (avoid the cream ones), which if you leave out ghee, is very healthy!

Some of my favourites are:

- Spinach Dhal (Spinach lentil thick soup)
    - Paneer Palak (Cottage cheese cubes with spinach)
    - Vegetable Sambar (Vegetable thick soup)
    - Tomato Rasam (Spicy thin vegetable soup - great for digestion and good for winters)
    - Tomatar Ki Chutney (Spiced Tomato Chutney - a delicious side with rice)
    - Eggplant & Mushroom Curry
    - Vegetable koftas in yoghurt curry

You can find the videos and the recipes on showmethecurry.com. The authors healthify Indian food and they had a massive selection of curries which keep very well in the fridge and are great even when frozen.

A favourite other dish of other Asian cuisines are:

-Mapo Tofu (replace the minced meat with any soy protein of choice, preserved mustard green bits or chickpeas)
    -Stuffed cabbage rolls with 'cauliflower rice'
    -Stuffed vegetables with 'cauliflower rice'
    - Cauliflower fried rice allrecipes.com/recipe/cauliflower-fried-rice/
  • JamCanAndWill
    JamCanAndWill Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great ideas on here! Thanks all!
  • McMomma02
    Options
    faithyang wrote: »
    I really love Indian vegetarian recipes because they are high in protein, very easy on the hip pocket and flavoursome. The Indian culture is also a massive veteran at vegetarian cuisine because of its thousand plus years of evolution, so the depth of flavour really shines. There's also a big use of pulses and dairy such as yoghurt (avoid the cream ones), which if you leave out ghee, is very healthy!

Some of my favourites are:

- Spinach Dhal (Spinach lentil thick soup)
    - Paneer Palak (Cottage cheese cubes with spinach)
    - Vegetable Sambar (Vegetable thick soup)
    - Tomato Rasam (Spicy thin vegetable soup - great for digestion and good for winters)
    - Tomatar Ki Chutney (Spiced Tomato Chutney - a delicious side with rice)
    - Eggplant & Mushroom Curry
    - Vegetable koftas in yoghurt curry

You can find the videos and the recipes on showmethecurry.com. The authors healthify Indian food and they had a massive selection of curries which keep very well in the fridge and are great even when frozen.

A favourite other dish of other Asian cuisines are:

-Mapo Tofu (replace the minced meat with any soy protein of choice, preserved mustard green bits or chickpeas)
    -Stuffed cabbage rolls with 'cauliflower rice'
    -Stuffed vegetables with 'cauliflower rice'
    - Cauliflower fried rice allrecipes.com/recipe/cauliflower-fried-rice/

Oh my! Thank you love!
  • McMomma02
    Options
    My family loves curry and I will totally check out these websites!
  • McMomma02
    Options
    Great ideas on here! Thanks all!

Isn't everyone here so encouraging! B)
    Big love to all my MFP support team, thank you everybody!
    <3
    :*
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If you need to cook affordable meals, you'll find lots of helpful tips here agirlcalledjack.com/ . She isn't vegetarian but most of her meals are (and you can filter by vegan recipes). I love her carrot cumin and kidney bean burgers! Good luck!
  • McMomma02
    Options
    FitFroglet wrote: »
    If you need to cook affordable meals, you'll find lots of helpful tips here agirlcalledjack.com/ . She isn't vegetarian but most of her meals are (and you can filter by vegan recipes). I love her carrot cumin and kidney bean burgers! Good luck!

Thank you for sharing your favorite recipe and website love! <3
    Much appreciated!
    <3