Calorie Overage

clhobbs09
clhobbs09 Posts: 24 Member
Hello Everyone.

I'm new here and maybe about two weeks in. This is my very first day going over on my calorie allowance. I've been at a deficit every other day. I don't know how to feel about it but don't want it to feel like a set back for me. I had a meeting and ate with friends and kind of went 400 calories overboard.

Any advice????

Replies

• deceived1
    deceived1 Posts: 281 Member
    I can't see your diary as it's set to private. However, what is your calorie goal set to? -2 pounds per week? (AKA 1000 calorie deficit a day?)

If you went 400 calories over your DEFICIT goal - you are likely still below your maintenance calorie goal for the day. As long as you're at maintenance or below - you won't gain weight.

Also, one day, unless it's a crazy binge, will not affect your process in any noticeable way.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Log it and keep moving forward. You will be surprised how little one day over will effect (or not) your overall goal.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    You're below maintenance for the week for sure. Great job. 400 calories...Who knows, maybe you were more active this week and burned 400 extra calories more than normal. You'd still be on target. 400 is almost negligible unless you have a tiny deficit-even then, still under for the week.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    -Log it, move on, and accept that your deficit this week will be that much less (which equals less than 1/8 of a pound)
    -Cut 100 calories out each of the next four days to equal it out
  • clhobbs09
    My daily allowance is 1200. I normally earn extras from my workouts and walking but didn't today. I went to the restaurant with certain foods within my calorie budget but then saw something new and tried it. They did not have a calorie menu on hand and I didn't have access to my phone to verify. Very unprepared today. Didn't get a chance to workout because of meetings all day literally but I reached my 5k step goal. For some reason since I've linked my Fitbit to MFP it doesn't calculate exercise points the same as before.
    I will use it as a learning opportunity. I have to be better prepared but won't beat myself up. I just have to work harder this coming week and weeks to come.
    I won't give up!!!!!
    Thanks to all that responded.
  • deceived1
    deceived1 Posts: 281 Member
    clhobbs09 wrote: »
    My daily allowance is 1200. I normally earn extras from my workouts and walking but didn't today. I went to the restaurant with certain foods within my calorie budget but then saw something new and tried it. They did not have a calorie menu on hand and I didn't have access to my phone to verify. Very unprepared today. Didn't get a chance to workout because of meetings all day literally but I reached my 5k step goal. For some reason since I've linked my Fitbit to MFP it doesn't calculate exercise points the same as before.
    I will use it as a learning opportunity. I have to be better prepared but won't beat myself up. I just have to work harder this coming week and weeks to come.
    I won't give up!!!!!
    Thanks to all that responded.

Since your allowance is at 1,200, I'm guessing you probably maintain at around 1,700. (This is just a guess, but what follows will be relevant either way).

That's a 500 calorie deficit a day, or exactly one pound (3500 calories) for the entire week.

To put in perspective how little your +400 was today over your goal, if the rest of your week is 100% on hitting your goal, you will still be at a 3100 calorie deficit for the week, or 3100/3500 pounds (or .89 pounds lost instead of 1 pound).

Days like this will happen on your journey and are almost unavoidable. But they really don't put any dent in your progress.

Keep up and keep logging! :smile:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Don't sweat it. Most people have days where they go over or under. It happens.

Do not get emotional over the food. You can't uneat it, so just be glad you had a nice time, log it the best way you can and move on. :)
  • LilannB
    LilannB Posts: 99 Member
    Forgive yourself and get back on track tomorrow.
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    LilannB wrote: »
    Forgive yourself and get back on track tomorrow.

tomorrow is another day. don't beat yourself up, friends are more important than 400 calories!

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Don't sweat it. Most people have days where they go over or under. It happens.

Do not get emotional over the food. You can't uneat it, so just be glad you had a nice time, log it the best way you can and move on. :)

+100 some of you just make it too hard and life is short enough as it is.
    OP relax and just keep an eye on your weekly or longer periods of whether you are in deficit or not. One day is just one day and a small part of your journey, keep it in perspective.
  • clhobbs09
    Thanks for the support. A comment was made at the table while eating that live a little today and my thought was his journey is hard enough but I do know that people are not on it with me won't understand it as I do.
    Thanks for your honesty!!!