Forget to log food

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    OP, are there some reasons beyond habit you might have trouble remembering to log?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    OP, are there some reasons beyond habit you might have trouble remembering to log?

That's a good point. I sometimes don't want to remember to log or even what I have eaten if I have had an extremely indulgent day.

• ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Options

OK, I see that you have a 4 year old, so I can understand not allowing her to serve herself. But 4 is probably old enough to learn patience and that Mommy isn't her servant and that she might have to wait a minute for Mommy to get her a drink or more food. You don't have to be a jack in the box and jump whenever your kids call your name.

As for your other kids...I assume at least one of them is close to age 12, or you wouldn't have said, "under 12". I think that any kid age 8+ can get him/herself another drink or another piece of chicken.

My mother allowed herself to be a slave to her kids. I didn't make the same mistake.

I hope you realize I was simply sketching out an illustrative scenario, not literally narrating a nightly event. Focusing on the specific example means you're missing the larger point: People don't live perfect lives, and sometimes practical advice and a little sympathy are more valuable than "suck it up, buttercup, and be more dedicated."
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    A tip I've found that helps me log is I will pre-log dinner as soon as I figure out what we're having. I'll log everything as weighing 1 gram a piece. This way, when dinner rolls around and I actually weigh each component of the meal, it just takes a few seconds to change the 1 gram entries to reflect the actual weights.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ariamythe wrote: »

OK, I see that you have a 4 year old, so I can understand not allowing her to serve herself. But 4 is probably old enough to learn patience and that Mommy isn't her servant and that she might have to wait a minute for Mommy to get her a drink or more food. You don't have to be a jack in the box and jump whenever your kids call your name.

As for your other kids...I assume at least one of them is close to age 12, or you wouldn't have said, "under 12". I think that any kid age 8+ can get him/herself another drink or another piece of chicken.

My mother allowed herself to be a slave to her kids. I didn't make the same mistake.

I hope you realize I was simply sketching out an illustrative scenario, not literally narrating a nightly event. Focusing on the specific example means you're missing the larger point: People don't live perfect lives, and sometimes practical advice and a little sympathy are more valuable than "suck it up, buttercup, and be more dedicated."

Sure, but you picked that scenario, so I assume it's pretty common, even if it's not a nightly event. It would be odd for you pick something that only happened once in twelve years, and use it as an example of why it's hard to log your food.

Whatever the case, I told the OP to pre-log her food. I think that's practical advice, don't you? Pre-logging your food doesn't really take all that long, once you get the hang of it. Especially because (unless you live an exotic and well traveled life, where you're eating a different type of cuisine every night) you're likely eating the same things on a regular basis, so the nutritional information will be close at hand.

"I am soooo busy" is probably the most common excuse I've seen on weight loss forums for people not doing what they need to do. You don't need a perfect life to lose weight.

But I suppose "take a few minutes each night to pre-log your food" isn't going to get a person as far as a sympathetic look, a hand pat and a "There, there. I know your life is sooo busy."

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    What do you do?

I dunno - you can try being responsible and not making excuses, right?
  • snickerscharlie
    Options

Sure, but you picked that scenario, so I assume it's pretty common, even if it's not a nightly event. It would be odd for you pick something that only happened once in twelve years, and use it as an example of why it's hard to log your food.

Whatever the case, I told the OP to pre-log her food. I think that's practical advice, don't you? Pre-logging your food doesn't really take all that long, once you get the hang of it. Especially because (unless you live an exotic and well traveled life, where you're eating a different type of cuisine every night) you're likely eating the same things on a regular basis, so the nutritional information will be close at hand.

"I am soooo busy" is probably the most common excuse I've seen on weight loss forums for people not doing what they need to do. You don't need a perfect life to lose weight.

But I suppose "take a few minutes each night to pre-log your food" isn't going to get a person as far as a sympathetic look, a hand pat and a "There, there. I know your life is sooo busy."

And *this* is why we're friends. <3
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    Could you get the kids involved? Let the little ones scan bar codes and gather ingredients. The older ones can weigh & measure. Let each child pick out 1 meal or snack item for the next day (from 2 or 3 healthy options).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Yes I have children

And other pressures

And I stopped letting myself make any excuses for why I couldn't do the things I needed to do to achieve my goals

My life isn't perfect, nobody's is...but my attitude is as close as I can get it, with its human ups and downs

So I'm firmly on the "suck it up buttercup" side...stop allowing yourself to make excuses

Please note that "yourself" is a generic not a personal yourself
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options

And *this* is why we're friends. <3

:kissing_heart::heart: :kissing_heart:

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Weigh and log it before you sit down

Teach kids to wait or serve themselves?

Being committed to your own health is not a bad thing to teach your children

If you're a parent, you probably know that it's not that cut and dried. If I let my 4 y.o. serve herself she'll end up with half the bowl on her plate and the other half in her lap.

I totally agree that being dedicated takes commitment. But telling someone just to "be more dedicated" sounds just a little bit elitist. People have lives; people have schedules; people have families. It's not a perfect world.

people also have *kitten* loads of excuses....

I have a 2 y.o. and 5 y.o. and I work 10-12 hours per day...and I have an acre to take care of...and lot of other commitments...yet somehow I managed to commit to logging into a little website to take a couple minutes to log my food.

people are full of excuse after excuse after excuse...drop the excuses.
  • booksandchocolate12
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Of course, this is all moot, since the OP hasn't even come back. She's probably busy.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    It's either important or it's not. Most people don't forget to put on their clothes in the morning, have gas in their car or take care of the multitude of other daily tasks that require a bit of inconvenience. If logging food daily helps a person with an important health goal, it can also become a priority. I do not believe that forgetfulness is an excuse.
  • cairnsmom
    cairnsmom Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I often have the same foods in meals. Meaning, if we have grilled chicken, we often have the same vegetables. My breakfast sandwich has basically the same ingredients. So I have them named and saved as meals. That way, I can just find the meal and log. If something within that meal needs tweaking, it's very easy to do. Up front, it may seem like some work, but long run, it's easy peasy.

I do love the idea of taking pic of your plate, if for no other reason than to remember what was eaten.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    Yup, I have things like my morning coffee saved as a "meal." Takes 2 seconds to log it now.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    For a long time, I used post-its. Now, I jot in a notebook because I write down the whole day and log when I'm done.

Pre-logging is a great idea if you know what you'll be eating.

Either way, you can do this stuff when the kids aren't around. :)
  • DaliaMaria1173
    DaliaMaria1173 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The moment you realize that you're worth taking the time and effort for is the moment you will change it.

And not a second sooner. :)

Exactly.

Lots of great suggestions here. Pre-logging is a good one.

Another tip is to take a picture of your food with notes (I actually use an app called TwoGrand), and then log it all later.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Yes I have children

And other pressures

And I stopped letting myself make any excuses for why I couldn't do the things I needed to do to achieve my goals

My life isn't perfect, nobody's is...but my attitude is as close as I can get it, with its human ups and downs

So I'm firmly on the "suck it up buttercup" side...stop allowing yourself to make excuses

Please note that "yourself" is a generic not a personal yourself

Ditto here...child, husband, job, house to take care of, gardens, family, friends etc.

Plus other things going on...

I am the priority and make logging a priority...why...because if I am not healthy and happy who will take care of the family, home, job etc.

Our health as mothers/fathers are the most important thing...#1 priority.
  • fulltimelife
    fulltimelife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the "suck it up, buttercup" mentality. You do what you need to do to get it done. You find a way. Time passes either way, you either make excuses or take action. Lots of good options suggested.

I log closely in time to the meal. I rarely go out to eat, so there is little guess work. I have measuring cups, measuring spoons, a couple of scales, a pad of paper, a pen, and the nutrition information saved from whatever packages I am working with. No guessing, no estimating. If you are not getting the results you want, then you have to change the behavior.

What works for me is that while I am putting together a meal, I jot down what I have used, and as much relevant info as possible. I'm actively involved and thinking about what I am working with. Then within a short time, I sit at my computer, or use my tablet to officially log it in. Sometimes it is after the meal, sometimes it is pretty much during. Only occasionally do I pre-log. I enjoy the ritual of logging. I don't forget because I have it at the forefront of my mind. I have other rituals that help string together all the behaviors I want to happen, or change. Think about what may help you in that regard.

That's another thing. Ritual. You must practice to make it a habit.

Pre-log if and only if you know what you are going to have, down to the amount. Some people loosely add calories, others (like) me get as exact as possible. It's easy to underestimate calories. If you don't know what you are taking in, then a few hundred too many will add up. Over several days, it isn't hard to add on weight.

Good luck, and let us know what you decided on.

(to all, friend requests are welcome).