are body massages really must to reduce skin sagging after weight loss??

Options
anyatanu
anyatanu Posts: 35 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi
I have reduced 3 kgs in past 45 days. My height is 5ft nd currently i weigh 57kgs. Age 31 years. Blessed with baby girl 1 and half year back.

My gym trainer asked me to take body masaages under there weight reduction program to reduce skin sagging that will cause by weight loss..

According to him without massages weight loss is of no use. You will not look good after sagging.
And its a must component that's need to be added if i want to achieve my goal to reduce mre 8 kgs in 6months.

he says how much effort i put in workouts and dietin..without massage everthing is waste.
its costing 1000rs per massage and fr him i will need almost 30 massages.

Shall i go fr it or not...jst want to have some advises bfre spending this much money..

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Ask him how a massage will put elastin back in to your skin? He is ripping you off, I'd get a new trainer!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Yeah...ask him exactly how massages are going to help with sagging skin? With the relatively small amount of weight you've lost, you shouldn't have significant sagging skin. That tends to come with people who've lost a large amount of weight. Sometimes the skin bounces back, sometimes it doesn't. Plenty of people have lost weight w/out massages and look great. He's just using high-pressure tactics to get you to spend more money. Seriously, get a new trainer.
  • canoepug56
    canoepug56 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Is he the one doing the massage ? Sounds to me like a way to get his rocks off.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is a salesman
  • PuddinPiePrincess
    PuddinPiePrincess Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Um well, as a nurse and massage therapist I will tell you that yes there are great benefits to regular massages, it helps break up adhesions and scar tissue, it helps with blood circulation and improving lymphatic flow, as well as stress reduction, breaking up cellulite, and increasing weight loss... But is it an absolute necessity? No. Will you notice greater results from getting them? Yes.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If it helps skin sagging is due to
    1) and mainly ...genetic lottery
    And marginally
    2) rate of loss of weight
    3) how long you've been overweight
    4) muscle retention / build

I've just booked a massage ..my first in over 15 months, over the last year I've lost 54lbs and maintained with minimal skin issues because I have olive skin, have lost at a slow rate, followed a progressive resistance programme and mainly was fortunate in the genetic lottery
  • aussie_girl_del_runner_5
    Options
    That sounds dodgy as. Agree with all 3 above, massages are not going to help with saggy skin and with the amount you want to loose I doubt you'll have saggy skin anyway. He's either trying to get his rocks off if doing the massages himself or scam you out of money.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'd ask if massages purchased outside of their weight reduction program work. He's obviously trying to sell you something you don't need.

If things are going well otherwise, keep up, otherwise find a new trainer. You don't need someone who lies to you to make money.
  • KirstenAFerreira
    KirstenAFerreira Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sounds verrrry odd.
    I had my Daughter in 2013, and exercise has tightened my 'saggy' parts up perfectly fine!
    You definitely don't need a massage :) Your trainer is a total moron just trying to get money.
    Ditch the trainer, carry on with your dieting and exercise and you'll be at your goal in no time! Save some money you would've spent on these scammy massages and update your wardrobe when you reach your goal!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Well, that's a new one on me! I will ditto what everyone else says. And because your trainer is trying to sell you something the body doesn't need, then it makes me wonder what else he is selling that's not necessary? Take a look at his whole program. Does it make sense? Does it cause you to pause and say "What?"

You really don't need a trainer. Some people like a trainer for a work-out partner or as an accountability. (Or you like the trainer and can afford it.) But just think of how much cash you can put back in your pocket!

Seriously tho, massage is a feel-good on your muscles but it won't do a thing for elasticity for skin. If it did, we mid-50 year-olds would be shelling out big bucks to get our turkey necks & saggy flappy arms put back to their youthful proper place. B)
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Sounds verrrry odd.
    I had my Daughter in 2013, and exercise has tightened my 'saggy' parts up perfectly fine!
    You definitely don't need a massage :) Your trainer is a total moron just trying to get money.
    Ditch the trainer, carry on with your dieting and exercise and you'll be at your goal in no time! Save some money you would've spent on these scammy massages and update your wardrobe when you reach your goal!

what she said. you'll have plenty of better things to spend your hard earned cash on than some con artist's gimmick. like rabbitjb said.....genetics, speed of loss, how long you've been over are factors that will determine what happens with your skin. I had been over since pretty much birth (hello 12 pound baby!) and only just lost the weight like 33 years later. I will forever have skin curtains unless I get rich or my friend's idea for a skin removal gofundme page pans out. I would definitely be farther from my goal if I spent my "attempt to look human again" money on massages instead of something that would actually work. like surgery. lol
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    He wants $450 from you for massages; I'm assuming weekly or bi-weekly, if you need 30.
    He's most likely trying to sell you additional services you don't need, and is financially benefitting from either doing the massages himself, or getting a cut from outsourcing it to other people.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Just when I thought I'd heard it all!

Anya, the dude's trying to rip you off. Big time! Find another gym/trainer. If he's trying to up-sell you on this bogus bullsh!t, I can only imagine what the rest of his professional services entail.

Run, hon!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Oh, and just to add: You're young and don't have a lot of weight to lose. Your skin is naturally more elastic than an older person's. Use a good moisturizer and you should be just fine.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Lolz.... Is he a French model?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If you lose at a rate of about 1 lb a week and are not aiming to lose more than 50 lbs then you probably won't have an issue with very saggy skin. I wouldn't do the massage sessions.
    I'm 41 years old and have lost 24 lbs and my skin is not saggy at all. I have had zero massages.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    @anyatanu - I love massage and get it regularly but don't like the way your trainer is upselling and hard selling you.

Your ticker says you've lost 18 pounds and have 18 to go - are you noticing sagging skin now?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    lol, well i once met an old-school dermatologist who graduated in probably the 50s or 60s. she used to knead her belly quite hard on the logic that it was important to break stuff up. i don't know, though.

as for this guy, you can get probably get massage cheaper if you feel it helps.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Ya, a chain like Massage Envy are probably cheaper than massage at your gym. Also check Groupon - I've gotten some fantastic deals for massage there. The facility was also willing to give me the Groupon price after the deal ended.