Swimming and fit bit

tazjosh
tazjosh Posts: 88 Member
i have a Fitbit zip. When I take it off to go in the pool with my toddler and leave it in my locker I don't actually swim just walk around with him. So I can't add it as an exercise but it will think I've just sat down for an hour and not count my steps?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    You'll get your TDEE during that hour, but just think of any extra burn during that time as "insurance" you're eating at a true deficit. And enjoy the time with your child!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    You'll get your TDEE during that hour, but just think of any extra burn during that time as "insurance" you're eating at a true deficit. And enjoy the time with your child!

Either that or trade it in for a Flex so you can wear it in the water.

• tazjosh
    tazjosh Posts: 88 Member
    editorgrrl wrote: »

Thanks
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    edited June 2015
    Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I take my Flex off to swim (I don't trust its waterproofness) and use a HRM to measure my pool burns but that means the steps I take to/from the pool and in the shower aren't counted - no biggie, it all evens out eventually.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Katleskin wrote: »
    Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I take my Flex off to swim (I don't trust its waterproofness) and use a HRM to measure my pool burns but that means the steps I take to/from the pool and in the shower aren't counted - no biggie, it all evens out eventually.

I have worn mine in the pool for as much as 3 hours at a time, 3 times a week for 15 months and no issues with the waterproofing.