what are the physical signs of 'starvation' mode?

Options
de1amo
de1amo Posts: 266 Member
İ struggle to reach my calorie targets on a regular basis although i am getting better and was wondeing what the signs of starvation are?
i am suffering days when i dont go to the toilet but dont feel constipated--is this a sign?

Replies

• Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why you are finding it difficult with regards to eating your allocated calories?

The constipation may be caused by the general diet change or could indicate that you are not having enough fibre in your daily food.

I'm not sure what the symptoms are regarding "starvation mode" although I do know that weighloss will be severely hindered by this mode. Also, your body is not getting the right amount of nutrients for energy required for physiological and psychological functions. I think, therefore that you should not be worried about the "symptoms" of starvation mode but solely focused on increasing your calories so you are not doing any damage to your body :flowerforyou:
  • de1amo
    Options
    i can keep within my base calories easily but never get near my exercise calories because it is just not possible within my normal eating habits--i upped my calorie allowance recently because i was nearing my target weight and read what it said about upping the intake as you got lower.
    i am losing regularly and have heard so much about this starvation mode but apart from the stopping of weight loss i dont know any other sign of it happening--the only change i have experience is the regularity of bodily function!!
  • goatskinlegs
    goatskinlegs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, so consult one PLEASE! But a few signs of starvation are nerve and muscle twitches like trembling hands, shaky legs that sort of thing. Mental fatigue as well as physical fatigue are common signs as well. Forgetting things, lack of concentration and always feel worn out are examples.

Starvation can cause MAJOR metabolic strain, and can be very difficult to get your body to even back out. So becareful and stay safe. Good Luck.
  • de1amo
    Options
    no sign of those things but thank you for the info--i will be wary!---i lived on 1000 calories a day for 2 months and exercised 6 days a week and never exeprienced them--i wonder what the sign of an increased bmr is now??
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    what i think you are talking about is actually pre-starvation mode,this is when your body thinks is about to starve (even if you arent and have plenty of fat reserves)so it lowers its metabolic rate so that you dont starve.. starvation it when you body uses its muscle for fuel.