Went gluten free last week and I've dropped 10 pounds. Is that normal?

I was diognosed with celiacs on June 19th 2015. I went gluten free on that day and so far have lost 10 pounds. Is that normal?

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    What was your height/starting weight?
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    edited June 2015
    I initially lost 12lbs really quickly after diagnosis then it slowed right down for a couple of months. My sister on the other hand gained almost a stone after her diagnosis. Everyone is different! It should even out eventually, but speak to your doctor if not. My dietician was super helpful in my first year of being gluten free. :)

Edited to point out I still had a stone and a half to lose when I received my diagnosis. If you don't have the weight to lose you should see your doctor.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    If you ELIMINATED all of the grains you used to eat, then you likely lost 4-5 or so pounds of water, as you probably reduced your over all carb intake. And then you probably lost a couple of pounds of fat in those 9 days.

Assuming you're eating enough etc. the loss should slow down (unless you're very very overweight).

Moving forward: if this works for you, aim to not replace most foods and snacks that have gluten with substitutes that don't (i.e. don't replace cookies with gluten free cookies). Most GF replacements are very heavily processed, and even higher in carbs than the foods they are designed to replace.

Good luck!
  • alyshalise
    alyshalise Posts: 28 Member

I'm 5"8 and 160 pounds on the 19th of June.
  • alyshalise
    I initially lost 12lbs really quickly after diagnosis then it slowed right down for a couple of months. My sister on the other hand gained almost a stone after her diagnosis. Everyone is different! It should even out eventually, but speak to your doctor if not. My dietician was super helpful in my first year of being gluten free. :)

• Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Sounds about right to me. Same thing happened to me after my diagnosis too. Just think about it...you've been consuming something your body is rejecting. Inflaming your insides and ( I know for me) very bloated. Definitely talk to your doctor if you're concerned though!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    edited June 2015
    alyshalise wrote: »

Seconding what Sabine said above; since you are in the 160s, you likely had a very quick burst of water weight loss due to the sudden omission of these items. I would also imagine that some bloating has been alleviated too, now that you've removed these items from your intake!
  • alyshalise
    If you ELIMINATED all of the grains you used to eat, then you likely lost 4-5 or so pounds of water, as you probably reduced your over all carb intake. And then you probably lost a couple of pounds of fat in those 9 days.

Assuming you're eating enough etc. the loss should slow down (unless you're very very overweight).

Moving forward: if this works for you, aim to not replace most foods and snacks that have gluten with substitutes that don't (i.e. don't replace cookies with gluten free cookies). Most GF replacements are very heavily processed, and even higher in carbs than the foods they are designed to replace.

Good luck!

My husband and I have been checking out ingredients, and nutritional value in all foods lately and noticed that with some gluten free foods on the package you get less food in the serving portion but more calories and sugar. I'm trying to stay more natural/ clean with my eating. Maybe that's why the loss but I didn't eat too bad before. Thanks for the info :)
  • alyshalise

Seconding what Sabine said above; since you are in the 160s, you likely had a very quick burst of water weight loss due to the sudden omission of these items. I would also imagine that some bloating has been alleviated too, now that you've removed these items from your intake!

I don't hurt in my joints any more. It could be all water. I've also lost inches all around. Probably from not being so bloated. Thanks :)
  • alyshalise
    Jaedynmoon wrote: »
    Sounds about right to me. Same thing happened to me after my diagnosis too. Just think about it...you've been consuming something your body is rejecting. Inflaming your insides and ( I know for me) very bloated. Definitely talk to your doctor if you're concerned though!

Thanks :) my doctor is kind of a tool but I'll wait for the g.i. doctor. Thanks again.
  • alyshalise
    edited June 2015
    Thank you for your feedback I appreciate it. <3
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

True, decreased inflammation as well.
  • Littlegurl
    Littlegurl Posts: 172 Member
    There are actually some foods that aren't necessarily marketed as gluten free food that are gluten free, and healthier versions. An example is coconut flour. Checkout the following site. Coconut flour has less carbs (and it's more digestible than wheat flour), and it is higher in fiber.
    And we should all strive to eat cleaner and develop better eating habits. But sometimes we need the tools create healthier versions so we can splurge a little
  • alyshalise
    Littlegurl wrote: »
    There are actually some foods that aren't necessarily marketed as gluten free food that are gluten free, and healthier versions. An example is coconut flour. Checkout the following site. Coconut flour has less carbs (and it's more digestible than wheat flour), and it is higher in fiber.
    And we should all strive to eat cleaner and develop better eating habits. But sometimes we need the tools create healthier versions so we can splurge a little

Thanks for the tip :)
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Impossible to know what's happening without knowing what you ate before and what you ate now, you can get gluten free almost anything. It's likely you cut out carbs and you got some of that great low carb water weight loss