Is 175 pounds/80kg overweight?

Options
I can't really make up my mind if I should lose any weight or not. I'm trying to build a bit of muscle and tone up as well, so I'm not sure what path to take
Any advice or suggestions?

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    It depends. How tall are you?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I can't really make up my mind if I should lose any weight or not. I'm trying to build a bit of muscle and tone up as well, so I'm not sure what path to take

Are you 5'0"? Are you 6'0"?
    175 is very different at those two heights.
  • Sofiahuerta
    Sofiahuerta Posts: 30 Member
    Options

I'm about 5'5"
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    What is your bf%? Body composition is much more important than weight imo!
  • workhardtogethard
    workhardtogethard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    At 5'5" and 175 lbs, weight loss along with the weight lifting is a given if you want to achieve a defined look.
  • Sofiahuerta
    Options
    What is your bf%? Body composition is much more important than weight imo!
    I really have no idea :/ Was hoping this would be more simple haha
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

I'm about 5'5"

Then yes it is high on the overweight side of the BMI scale...you have a BMI of 29, 30 is obese

Yes BMI is a population measure and body frame and musculature can affect how appropriate a measure the healthy range of 18.5 to 25 is for you as an individual

But on the information you've given, yes you probably need to drop body fat, following progressive lifting programme as you do so to preserve your muscle
  • naturesfempower
    naturesfempower Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and 175 lbs. I am 20 lbs overweight. At least I am no longer obese.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I'm about 5'5"

Do you do a lot of weight training?

imho? yes, if you're an ADULT at 5'5" and 175# you could stand to lose some weight.
    Not knowing anything about you, I don't know what a good weight is.
    When I was starting out I aimed for 130 (I'm 5'6"). I used the very simple formula of: 100# at 5'0" and then 5# per inch after (125# in your case). But that may be too thin for you. I have no way of knowing that.

But, definitely start lifting weights if you aren't doing it already.
  • Sofiahuerta
    Options

I'm about 5'5"

imho? yes, if you're an ADULT at 5'5" and 175# you could stand to lose some weight.
    When I was starting out I aimed for 130 (I'm 5'6"). I used the very simple formula of: 100# at 5'0" and then 5# per inch after (125# in your case). But that may be too thin for you. I have no way of knowing that.

How much weight would you recommend losing? I feel that if I maintained lifting and excersize in general I would naturally lose weight gradually anyway.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I'm about 5'5"

How much weight would you recommend losing? I feel that if I maintained lifting and excersize in general I would naturally lose weight gradually anyway.

You would only lose weight if you burned more calories than you ate.

I have no idea what you should weigh. What do you look like at 125# or 130#? Again, if you were really lifting, then you could probably weigh more. 140# or so.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

I'm about 5'5"

That calculation would put me 20lbs under my current weight ...and my current weight is 5lbs under my initial goal and the weight I don't want to drop below (5'8 and 160lbs)

So I agree that It so very much depends on the body you want

And whilst I don't accept BMI as a hard and fast rule, it's a good enough scale when you're far outside it to head towards and reassess as you get closer
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I'm about 5'5"

That calculation would put me 20lbs under my current weight ...and my current weight is 5lbs under my initial goal and the weight I don't want to drop below (5'8 and 160lbs)

So I agree that It so very much depends on the body you want

And whilst I don't accept BMI as a hard and fast rule, it's a good enough scale when you're far outside it to head towards and reassess as you get closer

Yup, it does depend. If she's really lifting, then she could probably weigh 10-20# more than 125# and look great.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

This its a good strating point and it has some basis.