When should weight loss slow down?

Options
I started back with MFP 5 months ago almost exactly. I've lost 50 pounds. I am in NO hurry to lose weight. I have 25 pounds left until my goal weight, maybe 35 if I can do it. But the weight has just been falling off of me lately! I think it's because I've been really active with summer. I do log most things and eat back 50% of the exercise calories.

I love seeing the number on the scale go down, but it just seems like I'm losing too quickly. Would it make more sense to increase my calories now that I'm getting closer to my goal and to account for increased activity? I'm such a newbie with long-term weight loss and I want to do it the healthy way!

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Would it make more sense to increase my calories now that I'm getting closer to my goal and to account for increased activity?
    Yes.

You may want to try eating back 75% of your calories from exercise and, if you are still losing a bit too quickly, you can bump that up to 100%.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss will naturally slow down the closer you get to your ideal body weight. But in the interim, try eating back 75% of your exercise calories for a month and then reassess where to go from there. The closer you get to goal, the more critical logging *everything* you eat/drink will become, too. :)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does make sense to eat more and keep the loss moderate. I'm at a good maintenance weight now, and last month I had to increase my calories because I was starting to lose weight again.