Meal prep....what do you do?

Options
2»

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Have an idea of what you want to make and buy what you can ahead of time. :)

Utilize your freezer. If you're making a meatloaf, might as well make two, cut up and freeze what you don't eat. Same with other things that can be frozen. My freezer used to host ice cubes, frozen dinners and ice cream. Now it hosts all kinds of stuff.

I freeze liquids in bags. I set them up until they're slushy and then flatten them. :)

I take things out 36-48 hours before I heat them so that they can thaw in the fridge.
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    On Sundays I make a batch of egg muffins (literally just whatever veggies you would normally have in an omelet, cheese if you want it and then I use 4 whole eggs and 190 grams of egg whites, poured into silicone muffin liners) and I have 2 of those for breakfast each day.

Then I make enough of what I'm having for dinner that night to be 4 days of lunches. If I make any extra (generally most things I make are 6 serves), I'll freeze the extra serve/s. After dinner I portion out my 4 lunches into tupperware on then on Monday I take all 4 containers into work with me, along with any snacks that aren't fresh fruit. I like to make up little snack packs of nuts/dried fruit and also small bags of popcorn.

For dinner, I'll either grab something from the freezer or make something new.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    For some reason I keep suggesting this but Moroccan lentils.

They seem to fit a lot of threads requirements.

Open packet, poor in water and cook on the stove for 10-15 mins. Not a lot of prep work there?
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    My meal prep involves 2-3 hours of cooking, once every couple of weeks (I only meal prep lunches, however) I cook tons of sweet potato/brown rice and freeze them into portions. I then make up "veggie packs" which is my mix of veg and freeze. Finally I make protein (meat) packs and freeze. I use ziplock bags as they are cheaper and easier than takeaway containers. It also it means I can mix and match, or just pull a meat pack for a salad. I did try the all in one freezer packs but I found I would have days where I was craving chicken, sweet potato and veg but only had chicken, rice and veg. It has given me a feeling of "control" and variety over what i'm eating :)