Sudden problems swallowing pills, anyone?

Options
What's going on everybody, I didn't know which forum to post this in but I wanted to post it since there are a diverse group of people here, maybe somebody has had a similar experience.

First off, I'm 27 and male, I never had a problem swallowing pills, I used to swallow a whole vitamin pack of 11+pills at once, but for the past few years (4+) sometimes when eating dry meats and not chewing enough, food would get stuck on the way down. Now when this happens, I could breathe fine, but couldn't swallow any water or anything, sometimes get light headed, until a few minutes later when the food passes. It would happen sporadically, I attributed it to just not chewing enough or having a small throat.

Fast forward a few years to now, it seems to happen a little more, BUT since I decided to get on a vitamin regimen again I bought some omegas, a multi, joint support, then I try to swallow the first pill and it gets stuck... Same scenario as with the food, forgot to mention when it happens I salivate a Lot. Thought it was just. Fluke so I swallow the next one more careful but it happens again. Day after day it keeps happening, it's never happened with pills before. It's not mental, it actually gets stuck then passes. It's not like I'm afraid of pills, I used to be a pro at these things.

I have an appointment with an ENT doc, but it's not for 2 more weeks because they cancelled current appt.

What is really worrying me is that I know this type of symptom can be the sign of something much more serious such as Cancer or various other things including Lyme Disease. I'm kind of freaking myself out looking online reading about Dysphagia.

Replies

• 141by2016
    141by2016 Posts: 179
    Options
    STAY AWAY FROM WEBMD. Seriously, stop looking things up. While it is awesome to educate yourself on your health, if you are adding to your anxiety and not reassuring yourself, it's not helping. When you get to the doctor, give them a complete health history, even if YOU don't think it is relevant. Also, know what your family history is like. Auto-immune disorders? Cancers? Call your parents if you aren't sure.

You will probably be fine, but if they cancel on you again find someone else, the sooner you get the all clear the better - then you can stop stressing out.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I have no clue if it's part of a larger problem, but I have a suggestion that might help.

When you are ready to swallow, drop your chin down to your chest and try to swallow. It works for some people, myself included, so maybe it will help you.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    STAY AWAY FROM WEBMD. Seriously, stop looking things up. While it is awesome to educate yourself on your health, if you are adding to your anxiety and not reassuring yourself, it's not helping. When you get to the doctor, give them a complete health history, even if YOU don't think it is relevant. Also, know what your family history is like. Auto-immune disorders? Cancers? Call your parents if you aren't sure.

You will probably be fine, but if they cancel on you again find someone else, the sooner you get the all clear the better - then you can stop stressing out.
    well a bunch of places not just web MD, but yeah, thanks for the advice it's not fun living with anxiety about things like this.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    my husband had the same issue. his throat is actually to narrow. about every six months he gets his throat stretched. It is an outpatient procedure. The dr to see is a gastro dr. Apparently it is common. If you don't have it looked like than you may end up with chicken stuck in your throat in which we had to have surgically removed.
  • LongIsland27itl
    Options
    I have no clue if it's part of a larger problem, but I have a suggestion that might help.

When you are ready to swallow, drop your chin down to your chest and try to swallow. It works for some people, myself included, so maybe it will help you.
    i also do this, no help. When something gets stuck I need hot tea to get it down. Yogurt doesn't work. I started blending all my pills in my protein shake (FIng Nasty.)
  • LongIsland27itl
    Options
    my husband had the same issue. his throat is actually to narrow. about every six months he gets his throat stretched. It is an outpatient procedure. The dr to see is a gastro dr. Apparently it is common. If you don't have it looked like than you may end up with chicken stuck in your throat in which we had to have surgically removed.
    wow that's intense...