Losing weight too quickly, need help with calories/ meals

Options
It was suggested that I repost this in this section to here we go... I'll start off with my current stats to give you a better idea of where I am.
23yo female, 5'5, 135lbs (lost 43lbs in 10 weeks, was 178 the day I had my son). Eating ~ 1900cal a day.
I am exclusively BF my 10 week old and I seem to be losing too much weight too quickly, sometimes 1+ pound a week. I have lost my pregnancy weight and now continue to lose. I keep increasing my calories but still steadily lose I'm eating roughly 400 calories over what my maintenance was prepregnancy. I was pretty active and now I am fairly sedentary with the exception of 2-3 hour long walks a week as I'm concerned about losing even faster with more exercise. I'm rarely ever hungry eating like this and when I am I do eat more. My family is becoming concerned as im becoming very thin, but I don't know what to do if im not hungry (let alone find the time to prep food and eat with a 2 month old who refuses to nap). I'm looking for some help as to how much more I should be eating and what I can add/ change to help me achieve this. My diary is open, and I would love suggestions if you have them.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Breastfeeding burns calories, I think around 500 - I think you can add it as a cardiovascular exercise. I don't think you're eating enough to support the breastfeeding. Have you tried adding things like greek yogurt, nuts, peanut butter, avocados - this are full of healthy fat and protein and pack a calorie punch without a lot of volume. You could drink a glass of milk and have a snack each time you feed your baby. Congratulations!
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    breastfeeding burns tons of calories
    MFP useto have an option to add your breastfeeding calories
    not sure why they dont any more
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I looked at one of your walks and saw that you only burned 200 cals for a 1 hour walk at 3.0mph? Are you using anything to figure out how far/fast you are really walking or just guessing? Have you considered wearing an activity tracker just in case you might be more active than you think?

I believe people tend to add 500 cals for breast feeding. I thought there was an option to add it in to give you those calories, but if not, maybe try putting in an entry yourself? See if that helps?
  • marcianne98
    marcianne98 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Agree that it's likely the BF. Good for you for nourishing your child the best way there is!
  • sw6709
    sw6709 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    nikkit321 wrote: »
    Breastfeeding burns calories, I think around 500 - I think you can add it as a cardiovascular exercise. I don't think you're eating enough to support the breastfeeding. Have you tried adding things like greek yogurt, nuts, peanut butter, avocados - this are full of healthy fat and protein and pack a calorie punch without a lot of volume. You could drink a glass of milk and have a snack each time you feed your baby. Congratulations!

Thanks! Im having trouble figuring out how to log everything. As of now I have manually changed my calories to 1950 as I was maintaining my current weight prepregnancy at 1600-1700 cals. I do regularly eat Greek yogurt that I make myself, avocado is usually half a day when I have them, roughly 30-50g of different nuts and seeds as well as 1-2tbsp of peanut butter, and lastly I have atleast a cup of milk a day.. Should I be having more than one?
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to your doctor about your rapid weight loss? When you go back for your postpartum check up you should ask them to run a thyroid panel just to rule out postpartum thyroiditis.

If you are experiencing any other worrying symptoms, call your doctor to schedule an appointment sooner.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/postpartum-thyroiditis/basics/definition/con-20035474
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Try to keep eating regurly meals. Even if it is just small portions. Your body will start to expect food at certain times which will help with getting the feeling of hunger back.
  • sw6709
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    I looked at one of your walks and saw that you only burned 200 cals for a 1 hour walk at 3.0mph? Are you using anything to figure out how far/fast you are really walking or just guessing? Have you considered wearing an activity tracker just in case you might be more active than you think?

I believe people tend to add 500 cals for breast feeding. I thought there was an option to add it in to give you those calories, but if not, maybe try putting in an entry yourself? See if that helps?
    No in not currently using anything to track my walks that was just the calories mfp gave me when I entered it. I was under the impression it over estimates calories but I suppose it could be wrong. Is there a tracker you recommend? As for the cals I manually increased them by ~300 from prepregnancy maintenance as a starting point because I wasn't sure how to calculate breastfeeding calories. Thanks for your input!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You're breast feeding, eat more!
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    After I had my first child I lost so much weight that I was considered underweight. I didn't breastfeed either. Turns out I had a hyperthyroid brought on from pregnancy. Go to your doctor.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Just eat more. If it continues, see your Dr. My sister is also bf, and she lost all pregnancy weight plus more. She is down to about 114 at 5'6". She adds ice cream to her coffee and snacks on cliff bars and trail mix in addition to regular meals. Some women produce more milk, some babies eat more, and it uses up your calories. We also like to add coconut oil to things to boost calories.
    Good luck! If anything seems off, please ask your Dr.
  • sw6709
    Options
    I'm well aware thank you, my post asks for help getting more calories as I am not hungry... I'm feeling satisfied eating the amount I'm currently eating but I am losing weight. I am trying to figure out how much more I need to eat and how to do that while feeling full already...
  • sw6709
    Options
    After I had my first child I lost so much weight that I was considered underweight. I didn't breastfeed either. Turns out I had a hyperthyroid brought on from pregnancy. Go to your doctor.
    Thank you I am planning a visit to the Dr this week. I have already spoken to him about it once to which he said he was not worried that it was just because my little one is eating so much, but that was about 10lbs ago. I will ask him about hyperthyroid this time, thanks!
  • sw6709
    Options
    minizebu wrote: »
    Have you spoken to your doctor about your rapid weight loss? When you go back for your postpartum check up you should ask them to run a thyroid panel just to rule out postpartum thyroiditis.

If you are experiencing any other worrying symptoms, call your doctor to schedule an appointment sooner.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/postpartum-thyroiditis/basics/definition/con-20035474

Thank you I will look into this!
  • sw6709
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    Try to keep eating regurly meals. Even if it is just small portions. Your body will start to expect food at certain times which will help with getting the feeling of hunger back.
    Thanks I'll try and add in another snack, I'm currently eating 3 meals 400-500cal and 2 "snacks" 200-350cal
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sw6709 wrote: »
    I'm well aware thank you, my post asks for help getting more calories as I am not hungry... I'm feeling satisfied eating the amount I'm currently eating but I am losing weight. I am trying to figure out how much more I need to eat and how to do that while feeling full already...

Ditch everything in your diary that's reduced fat in favour of full fat - instant extra cals without extra volume.
  • sw6709
    Options
    sw6709 wrote: »

Ditch everything in your diary that's reduced fat in favour of full fat - instant extra cals without extra volume.

Thank you, the only thing I can think of at the moment is my milk (and the yogurt I make with it) is 2% I'll try the full fat when I get groceries. And I do use alot of egg whites (mostly because I enjoy them more than whole eggs) so I will try using more whole eggs aswell.
  • sw6709
    Options
    I just went back through my log for the last month.
    Since June 4 I have lost 6.8lbs as of yesterday morning so 23 days.
    6.8 x 3500 = 23800 calories
    23800/ 7= 1034 calories extra each day
    In those 23 days I logged 42813 calories (I ate more but didn't log so I'll use this number)
    42813/ 23= 1861 calorie average
    1861+1034 = 2895 calories
    This seems ridiculous for someone who aside from breastfeeding and 2 hours of walking a week is fairly sedentary... Or did I do this wrong
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    One super important question that I don't think has been asked: how is your milk supply?
  • sw6709
    Options
    One super important question that I don't think has been asked: how is your milk supply?

I was at the doctors last week for my little ones 2 month check up and he is gaining weight "perfectly". Which is why he was not concerned with my weight loss at that time. My little guy seems content, once a week id say he has an extra long feed where he wants to eat for hours. He is wetting 7+ diapers a day and dirtying usually 2 as well..