How to begin

Hi I just started so im not entirely sure where to begin. My husband is a currently deployed United States Marine and i want to surprise him when he comes home about the weight i lose and the muscle i am to gain. I have a 1 year old son and i want to get in shape and stay in shape so that as he grows i can teach him the importance of physical fitness. I weigh 145 now and would like to get down to at least 130 and gain some muscles where all the fat currently is. Any comments or advice is welcome because i need someone to point me in the right direction.

Replies

• Kman4evah
    Kman4evah Posts: 67 Member
    CICO on top of weight training to get the muscles you want.
    How long is it until he comes back?
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    With 15 lbs to lose, set your weight loss goals to 1 lb/week. Eat within the calorie limit that MFP sets for you. Work out; eat back about 50% of the calories burned. When you get to within 10 lbs of your goal weight, change your weight loss goals to 0.5 lb/week. Keep working out; keep eating back about 50% of your workout calories.
    The weight will come off in a sustainable, healthy way.
    You can do this.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Forget what you think you know about weight loss. You don't need to eat "healthy" or "clean" to lose weight. There's no magical combination of foods to eat (or avoid) unless you have a medical issue. Eating after a certain time of day won't store fat. No foods "burn fat" and you can't reduce fat in one specific area by doing something special. Drinking lots of water doesn't have an affect on weight loss. I think that covers most of it. :)

Worry less about the pounds and more about body fat percentage. There are some great examples around here of people who have actually gained weight while getting smaller and tighter through a progressive heavy lifting program. @rabbitjb has posted pictures (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/photos/view/22477664) of her transformation from 123 to 137 pounds.

I'd suggest a small calorie deficit to start, say 250 calories which would be 1/2 pound per week. At the same time, start a lifting program like New Rules of Lifting for Women or Strong Lifts 5x5 or any program that has you progressively increasing the weight you're lifting.

Be sure to take body measurements so you can track progress. If you have access to a body fat measurement, get tested fairly regularly so you can track that, too. The scale won't move much but you should be seeing progress in inches and body fat percentage.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Errr..that's not me...that's a google image ...it is supposed to demonstrate how scale weight means nothing and body composition and lifting is so valuable

Also worth checking out staci on nerdfitness

The rest of @SueInAz post is spot on
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Errr..that's not me...that's a google image ...it is supposed to demonstrate how scale weight means nothing and body composition and lifting is so valuable

Also worth checking out staci on nerdfitness

The rest of @SueInAz post is spot on

Aww and here I was so impressed! :lol: