net vs total

Options
leahcollett1
leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
Hi guys so I'm looking on my screen I'm seeing my goal I'm seeing what I've eaten and my exercise but what is the net and what do I use it for

Replies

• ylvak94
    ylvak94 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Your net calories are the calories you've eaten minus the calories you've burned while exercising. If you eat 1200 and burn 400 then your net calories are 800.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    So is that like what your body's really eaten cus the exercise has burnt the rest away?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    yes, the "available calories" for bodily functions excluding exercise was the "net" number.
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The burn is from your stores. You just detract the calorie burn from your daily requirement and that is net calories. If you want your metabolism to stay active, you might want to eat back 1/2 of those calories so your body gets the nourishment it needs.
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yeah, basically. You need to decide if you will eat back your exercise calories or not. I do not. I have a ton of weight to lose and I don't want to mess with the progress. Some people do and some don't, but do what works best for you.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    Today I've burnt 1100 calories I've eaten my goal of 1450 calories yesterday I had a blow out of Chinese and chocolate so I chose today to not eat any back in hopes to try claw some of it back my nett is saying 450ish that's why I was asking
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up to eat back at least some of your exercise calories and it won't mess with your progress...the suggestion is to eat back at least 50% of them as they can be over estimated for some.

• galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance so I eat calories back not always all of them but some