depression question

Options
lindz4ever
lindz4ever Posts: 593 Member
I've had depression before back in high school and over came it, well I've had depression for the second time since Christmas, due to personally reason, no one I know personally knows about it just on here, I hide it pretty well. and I'm wondering if any one has over came depression through working out and weight loss?

Replies

• varduk
    varduk Posts: 18 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It did make me feel better about myself, but to be honest with you what made me feel even better than the looks is letting go/forgiving the person who had made me feel depressed in the first place. Once you learn to move on, that heavy feeling in your chest goes away.
    Good luck.
  • hutchin88
    hutchin88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I certainly cannot address your own personal issue, but my own experience: when I quit eating wheat my emotional well being changed drastically for the better.

Food is a powerful drug, so if you have an unknown food allergy... It may sound crazy, but if you have struggled with depression in the past, it's worth looking into. Check out the book "Wheat Belly".

All the best to you!
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I lost half my body weight but still get depressed. However, exercise does help manage my symptoms.
  • kimberlyjoy159
    kimberlyjoy159 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree with Varduk. I made significant progress overcoming depression when I forgave the people who had hurt me. I also found that regular exercise and healthy eating helps my sleep patterns which in turn promotes a more positive affect. I also found that eating less processed food and sugar helped me.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Improved diet and exercise has helped considerably. I struggle with negative thinking and diet and exercise alone won't change that, but I do find I can "lose myself" in a good workout at times and that really helps smooth things out. I also take 1200 mg of fish oil a day that I saw recommended in a health magazine from our insurance company, and it does seem to make a difference. However, be aware it is not always possible to cope with depression on your own, and don't waste too much of your life thinking, "If I just do this or that I should be able to get a handle on it myself." Don't be afraid to seek out professional help- it's a sign of strength, not weakness :)
  • margauxp
    margauxp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I gained a ton of weight dealing with depression. Exercise and diet were not enough to help. There are things that you can try, but if they don't work don't hesitate to get help. Don't suffer longer than you have to. Good luck! FYI...... Since meeting with my doctor I have lost 14 lbs.
  • reeves45
    reeves45 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Losing weight will help, but seeking professional help would be a good idea. Sometimes just gaining coping mechanisms can help. There is no shame with depression, telling you most people live lives of quiet desperation. Would you seek help if you had high blood pressure? Yes, you would.
    The stigmatisim placed in mental health is ridiculous. Lots of people fight with depression, some are just better at hiding it. Do not hide, talk to people who care about you!!
  • misskitty2018
    misskitty2018 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Depression is real and we all suffer from it once and a while. U have to deal with it and then release it. Don't let it win. Breath it out of ur body with each breath u take. Be strong :)
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I find exercise definitely helps me regulate my mood. I can't say it "cured" me, because I still take meds for depression, but I feel much better and stronger emotionally when I am doing at least 5 or 6 days a week of moderate to high intensity cardio (the higher the better for me)

Resistance training has helped with my body image and physique in the past, but I don't notice any effects on my mood related to it.
  • kmclean10
    kmclean10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just want to say, I'm in the midst of dealing with depression as well. I've been clinging to the idea that diet and excercise changes will help me through it, but after following a consistent and strict regime, I think this depression will require professional help. The workouts are providing temporary relief-- but I find myself drowning in the emotional weight of negativity and sadness the rest of the day. I'd say you really need to evaluate yourself. Diet and excercise is a great start but may not be enough. I wish you well, and hang in there. You're not alone.
  • chelle4282
    chelle4282 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    For me, diet and exercise are great supplements. But on their own they weren't enough. In fact at times I was so depressed I couldn't get myself off the couch to do the exercise or eat right.

Talking to my doctor and starting an antidepressant has helped me immensely. I couldn't fix myself and finally had to ask for help.

Best of luck to you! Let us know how it goes.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I have lived with a major depression diagnosis for 45 years. I have learned some coping skills, have needed medications at times, but with regard to exercise I have found that too much of it drains me and makes symptoms way worse. So, pay attention to your body's signals. If you feel worn out or in my case found myself crying often for no real reason, don't feel you should be doing more. Being nice to yourself includes being nice to your body.
  • berndanddana
    berndanddana Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I would seek help. I went through a bad bought of depression a couple of years ago before I left the military. I actually had a friend take my arm and said, "you're going to get help now". I felt so weak and stupid waiting in the office to see someone. But after three sessions of just talking to someone I walked out a new person. Professionals have a way of asking the right questions to pull things out and get to the heart of the issue. Then teach you how to deal with it. I felt like my mind had been de cluttered and swept clean. If I ever go through another session like that, I'll go straight back to get help.
  • TheLittleGingerDoesWeightLoss
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I second berndanddana. I had a really bad depression episode a while back during my university. I was not where I wanted to be in life and my body was rebelling hard. If I opened a book, I would cry. Besides not having the results I wanted by a certain time, I really couldn't complain much. I felt like my problems I was experiencing in school was not worthy of being cried over, not worthy about being talked about or not worthy of being addressed. I had a tremendously tough day and someone advised me to JUST TALK to the counseling center at my school.

Dude, you really don't have any idea how much better I felt. This woman just listened while I babbled. She understood that I was a unique older student and the fact it was taking me longer to get through school was tough. She gave me some options from concentration honing classes to alternate ways of getting through school. She was a fantastic listener. I had friends who would tell me to put on my big girl panties and hunker down and school done with. She encouraged me that this self-beating behavior works for some but it's far healthy if that's not how you cope. She was an amazing third party with an open ear and just listened to what I had to say.

I think speaking to trained individual would be so helpful. And it shouldn't have to be daunting. The thing that made me comfortable with her was that I started the conversation with "I do not want to take medication. I do not feel as though that is necessary," she stated if it came to that, then so be it but she wanted to make sure we explored every avenue first. I didn't need it. I just needed to talk. I felt enough relief from that.

I would advise you speak to a trained professional. They can definitely help you, even if it's just to be an open ear and I think you need that because you say you try to hide it.

Or try talking to a friend? Start there.

Edited to add: I realized that I didn't answer your question. I think working out and weight loss will definitely help. Working out is a great outlet for negative emotions and if you are overweight I imagine you, like many others, experience a lack of confidence. I am pretty sure most people can feel pretty good when they feel and look hella fine. But you gotta get your mind to back you up on this journey otherwise you are very likely to fail. So still explore the therapy options. Just keep an open mind.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Exercise and nutrition help greatly at preventing depression and alleviating some of depressive symptoms. It is very unlikely to get someone out a depression. Seek professional help.
  • philiesgrl22
    philiesgrl22 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    lindz4ever wrote: »
    I've had depression before back in high school and over came it, well I've had depression for the second time since Christmas, due to personally reason, no one I know personally knows about it just on here, I hide it pretty well. and I'm wondering if any one has over came depression through working out and weight loss?

I also had depression in high school, and I was suicidal as well. I got better towards the end of school, thanks to my boyfriend at the time and my best friend. My second year of college I ended up having really bad depression come back due to roommate issues, and I have been dealing with them. I am currently taking medication to help, but I do find that having a good support system of friends, as well as being able to get my mind off things by exercising, when I can.

If you need someone to talk to, feel free to add me, and we can talk more.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    lindz4ever wrote: »
    ...I hide it pretty well...

Please don't hide it. Talk to a professional to finds tools to help you. I sought help, was prescribed an anti-depressant, and then started to exercise. I know I wouldn't have exercised without the first two steps. Be kind to yourself.
  • lindz4ever
    lindz4ever Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Thank you every one for the thoughts and suggestions. Luckily I do have a child psychiatrist in my family so I'll see if I can talk to her about some tips. My depression has never been a weight issue, when I was 9 was when I first got depression, due to family issues, and had it till I was 18, it wasnt till I was in high school till I got help. Well mine came back in December when my husband wanted to end our marriage, we got back together and March and working things out but it still doesn't help how I feel inside. I'm hoping the getting back in shape well help with this even if it is to get my mind if of my feelings, thank you all again, and I will be getting in touch with my aunt.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Exercise and good nutrition is great for alleviating depression naturally. It might be a combination of better self esteem, Respecting ones self, endorphins, clearing the mind, sense of achievement, gaining back control, eating and sleeping better, a sense of purpose, meeting new people. All of these things together can make you unstoppable.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    healthy eating and exercise can help manage the symptoms but if you have a major depressive disorder then it is just there. it cannot be cured. but it can be managed. but flares happen
    there is situational depression and I think that exercise and healthy eating can end that cycle/period but this is only my opinion

don't hide it. share it with people whom you trust and share with a professional that can help with group support, therapy, medication, practices or any combination of the afore mentioned stuff :)