Thyroid surgery and subsequent weight gain

Options
Hello. This is a question to anyone out there who has had thryoid surgery. I had the right lobe of my thyroid removed 4 years ago to remove a tumor. I have had hypothyroidism for years, so this was a new and unsettling development. Tumor was removed, and I am fine. It was benign. In the wake, however, I have seen a steady increase in weight that is very difficult to take off.

My question is to anyone who has had a portion or all of their thyroid removed. Have you seen a weight gain as a result despite taking the thryoid meds. What are your strategies for losing beyond the manage the intake and up the output? I feel as though my metabolism reset after the thyroid removal.

Thanks!

Replies

• babyblueruss
    babyblueruss Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I had my whole thyroid removed Two years ago as a result of the surgery I put on 20kgs straight after surgery I have yet to lose 16kg The Thyroid controls your whole body metabolism therefore you have to rely on medication to replace what's lost and unless your medication is right you will not lose weight so step 1 get medication right for you step 2 start of slow and understand like my endocrinologist says you either have to accept the weight or understand you will lose weight slower than most people and you may have to accept that you will not lose all the weight you want that may be hard but stabilising your medication is your first step on your journey good luck