Is it possible to lose the mommy belly without a tummy tuck?

Options
I am at the start of my journey but I am already worried about how my belly will look when I am done. I don't have a picture of myself but this is exactly what my stomach looks like right now. Does anyone have a picture of what this type of belly looks like after a huge weight loss? I have searched for hours and all I can find is tummy tucks for the after pic.jn1q46l7rw82.jpg

Replies

• nishatay
    nishatay Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I'm thinking you would lose fat but some of the excess might remain.
  • eatgoodeat
    eatgoodeat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    if you go through the "success stories" part of the forum you can see great examples there
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It depends on age, genetics, etc. I have 3 kids, and my stomach will go back flat. I would expect the "mother's apron" to be much smaller, at the least.

But the fold of that size has far more to do with weight than pregnancy, BTW.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    The answer is that it depends on multiple factors, genetics being an important one. That being said, here are a couple threads to look at:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10004180/big-bellys-before-and-after-pics/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10138254/abs-and-loose-skin/p1

There are many more. As already mentioned, search the success stories.
  • busterbrowneyes
    busterbrowneyes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I was feeling really down today.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Your tummy looks a lot like mine did when I started. It is getting smaller, but still hangs over. I suspect that it will always have some sag to it. I don't know what the cost of a tuck is, and I'm not sure I want to get one. Honestly, it is a symbol of how far I've come. I still have 40-50lb to lose, so I will see what happens. There will be down days. Add some friends here to give you a lift when you need it. :flowerforyou:

ETA: I didn't have a kid, just got the tummy from being way too big for my height :neutral:
  • summer21forever
    summer21forever Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bf1l6o3ltclz.jpg
    I had a baby belly like that too. It hasn't gone all the way but it's getting there. I think that every persons skin is different so if you have good skin it'll probably get a lot better but it will never be the same. 1yo08yp5172r.jpg
    mn9idkkdoy99.jpg

These are some of my baby belly after losing about 30 pounds after my pregnancy. I still have about 20 to go. So there is hope.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I have lost a little over 80#. I had a c-section & a complete hysterectomy. My mommy belly is relatively flat, but not firm.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I have an apron like that after having 3 pregnancies. I went to a plastic surgeon years ago and he was set up to do the surgery. No lip0suction (as I was in great shape), just cut off the excess skin...that's what the apron was...anyway, I signed up and then backed out after I realized that it's major surgery. I'd rather wear a one-piece bathing suit than take a chance with my health. When the surgeon described the procedure he scared me out of doing it.
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Your belly looks like my belly right now. I'm the past when I lost a lot of weight it eventually shrank. But it shrank in a weird way because my csection scar (I have a belly button to pubic bone incision) i ended up getting pregnant again before I reached my goal weight, but I'm going to guess in my case, since my skin elasticity is CRAP, I'm probably always going to have a pooch. Who knows tho. We won't know until we get there!
  • Martha6010
    Martha6010 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Takes lots of Doing work out videos like Shaun Ts hip hop abs and jillian michaels 30 day shred. that work ur abs I lost 25 lbs when I first started mfp. Pooch was almost gone at 161 lbs. But starting over at 174 lbs Can do it. Takes lots of time dedication motivation and support. Feel free to add me. Pictures in my profile.
  • violasuarez1994
    violasuarez1994 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I been on my weight loss journey I’ve lost 60lbs and this is how my belly is i still have alot of weight i want to loose f7ct4kj86f0r.jpeg
    weizabm5imsdqmh.jpeg[
  • Erza08
    Erza08 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This thread helped me feel so much better. Thank you so much ladies and good luck to all of us working on this.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 140 and I still have that fold! That's not what irks me right now though -- for me it's the size of the thighs I'm trying to trim.