fighting your temptation to cheat

Options
Guys i would like to know how do all of u fight your temptations to cheat on your diet.
I'm sure everyone is tempted once in a while

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Fight temptations? Temptations of what? Food?

I just ate half a cake.. :D
  • karnie1974
    karnie1974 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I try to keep busy but it isn't easy. Drink water. Go for a walk. Play a game. Sometimes it over takes you though and you have to eat. Start afresh the next day - don't give in!!
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    As I sit eating the chocolate that I should not have: The best way to deal with temptation is to avoid it before it hits. Its like defensive driving. Don't go into the lunchroom at work when you know there are cookies. Don't buy your favorite icecream in the 2 gallon tub (get a pint on the day that you plan to eat it). Don't cook items for your family that are too tempting to you. Try meeting friends for coffee instead of drinks. Don't volunteer to do the cooking for events (that one I fail at). Don't keep snacks in the drawers of your desk. Don't run so late that you have to go through drive through. Plan ahead.
  • mforrestall
    mforrestall Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I figure out how to fit it in my calories the next day. For example, last week I wanted cookie dough ice cream Tuesday night. I logged my food for the next day, planned to head to the gym and had enough calories for my treat. I have failed EVERY time I've tried to eliminate things I love. This time Ive decided not to say no, but I do say not right now.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Using language like "cheat" feels weird.
    Eat food. Don't eat food. Make choices and decisions that work for you. :)
  • hutchin88
    hutchin88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    triciab79 wrote: »
    As I sit eating the chocolate that I should not have: The best way to deal with temptation is to avoid it before it hits. Its like defensive driving. Don't go into the lunchroom at work when you know there are cookies. Don't buy your favorite icecream in the 2 gallon tub (get a pint on the day that you plan to eat it). Don't cook items for your family that are too tempting to you. Try meeting friends for coffee instead of drinks. Don't volunteer to do the cooking for events (that one I fail at). Don't keep snacks in the drawers of your desk. Don't run so late that you have to go through drive through. Plan ahead.

I totally agree. Plus I quickly switch the channel when food commercials come on. I also use my favorite tea for a substitute for the snack habit. And save a semi-treat such as single serve popcorn or fresh cherries for those late night cravings. And non-food treats - if I have a snack attack, I give myself a pedicure. By the time I'm done the mood is past, and my toes look great!

But also it's about motivation, and reminding yourself that it's temporary.
  • niharikashukla28
    niharikashukla28 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    thats great guys! Thanks for the ideas :)
    i do not get urges to cheat on my diet frequently but when i do, i really feel guilty about it.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging at least the next meal in advance really helps me. Spontaneity or waiting until I am hungry before looking in the fridge does not work for me. I have chocolate, instant pudding and other sweet treats in the house. I plan them and I eat them - in satisfying quantities, while still staying under 1200. I am not one of those "one piece of chocolate is enough" types. I need 3 or 4 pieces and I am prepared to skip supper to get it. When I do that, I feel that I can eat anything as long as I plan for it and I don't feel panicked. I don't eat chocolate every day, nor do I want to. Sometimes I go days where I don't eat junk, sometimes I eat a lot of junk. As long as I don't ban anything I feel in control.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat. I just make it fit in my calories and macros. How is that cheating?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    stop viewing food as cheats and then you will not have to worry about it.

I had a whole box of mac n cheese last night, I still hit my calorie intake for the day and my macros were spot on for the week, so I am good to go.

Instead, focus on hitting micros/macros/calorie targets.

food = food it is not good, bad, evil, cheating, clean, non clean, etc.

• ellensue553
    ellensue553 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I always remind myself what a great time I had packing all of that weight on with fun food. I felt bloated and ugly the whole way. I got serious about my health and happiness and said goodbye to the fun food and turned into a serious eater with nutritious life preserving food. I look at fast food and sugar, fat laden food as "carnival" food now. I dont miss the junk at all. I also workout 5 days per week. I look and feel fantastic. No regrets.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I found that logging all of my foods accurately keeps me honest. I'm less inclined to mindlessly shove food into my mouth if I know it's going to impact my bottom line, so to speak.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It either fits your calories or it doesn't.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I just tell myself, "It doesn't hurt anyone but you, so don't eat it". Works most of the time, but not all the time. When it doesn't I log it and try to fit it in to calorie allotment for the day. If not, I move on and don't obsess over it, and don't let it become a habit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I don't cheat. I just make it fit in my calories and macros. How is that cheating?

This
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Fight temptations? Temptations of what? Food?

I just ate half a cake.. :D

You. I like you. Also, can I have the other half of your cake?

• Bacchants
    Bacchants Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

This

Agreed!

I tend to eat the same stuff each day, so prelog what I eat, and most days I have enough spare for a treat. As long as you weigh it and stop after the set amount it's all good :D
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    triciab79 wrote: »

Ya, last night I was able to eat one serving (1.4 oz) of Bark Thins and stop, because I had already eaten a dinner with fullness-enhancing foods like protein, fat, and veggies. But if I were to go to the supermarket hungry and see a bag of Bark Thins, or worse yet, premenstrual and hungry, I'd be deluding myself if I thought I could buy it and eat just one serving.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I think that the "cheat" day or meal need would be greatly reduced if the caloric deficit not outrageously large. Another way to prevent cheat days/meals is to have off diet periods: after 8-12 weeks of dieting raising your caloric level to maintenance for 2 weeks, then returning back to deficit - this step would relieve your body and your mind of constant dieting stress.