Tips to Break a Plateau

Options
I have been struggling lately, I was steadily loosing weight for a while about a pound-2 pounds a week for about 2 months but it has now been 3 weeks and I have only lost half a pound. My calorie intake and exercise levels have not changed in that time. I am and 18 year old currently 175lbs and 5'10". I aim for about 1450 calories a day. I was just wondering if anyone could help me out, I am anxious to start loosing again.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you are losing you are not in a plateau.

If you haven't lost in 4 weeks it is not a plateau.

If you are in a plateau it is because you are eating at maintenance and you need to look at your logging.

If you aren't losing as fast as you think you should look at your logging...do you use a food scale? log accurately and consistently using the correct entries?

Have you started new exercise?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

If you are in a plateau it is because you are eating at maintenance and you need to look at your logging.

If you aren't losing as fast as you think you should look at your logging...do you use a food scale? log accurately and consistently using the correct entries?

This
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

and this

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

I hate to also repeat it, but this
  • theshaleco
    theshaleco Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Okay my bad, I must be mistaken, I am still fairly new to this. I don't use a food scale at the moment but I have been considering getting one, I just don't have much money to spend at the moment. Thanks for the tips.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    theshaleco wrote: »
    I have been struggling lately, I was steadily loosing weight for a while about a pound-2 pounds a week for about 2 months but it has now been 3 weeks and I have only lost half a pound. My calorie intake and exercise levels have not changed in that time. I am and 18 year old currently 175lbs and 5'10". I aim for about 1450 calories a day. I was just wondering if anyone could help me out, I am anxious to start loosing again.

So you have lost about 20 lb. Have you recalculated your calorie goal? This should be done about every 10 lb lost because, as you weigh less, you use fewer calories.

Have you been taking measurements? Are you losing inches even if the scale is not moving?

A plateau is 4 or more weeks with no change in weight OR measurements. Sometimes one changes but the other doesn't. Eventually they catch up to each other.

• SezxyStef
    Options
    Okay my bad, I must be mistaken, I am still fairly new to this. I don't use a food scale at the moment but I have been considering getting one, I just don't have much money to spend at the moment. Thanks for the tips.

I paid 18.99 for the one I bought 2 years ago and it is still working great...I've changed the battery maybe 2x....

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I got a really nice one off Amazon for $15. You don't have to buy anything fancy from a kitchen store, just get one that allows you to measure in grams (most will let you set ounces or grams) and will allow you to "tare" which brings it back to zero after putting something like a plate or bowl on it.

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

your not bad you have done great losing 20lbs...but now the time seems to be here to get more accurate
    measuring with cups and spoons and going by serving sizes can be way off.
    We all learn
    At amazon you can get a decent scale or Walmart between 10 to 20 dollars. :)

You got this, only it is now time to tighten up your logging. Which means you have done great your deficit is much smaller because you lost all that weight.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

your not bad you have done great losing 20lbs...but now the time seems to be here to get more accurate
    measuring with cups and spoons and going by serving sizes can be way off.
    We all learn
    At amazon you can get a decent scale or Walmart between 10 to 20 dollars. :)

You got this, only it is now time to tighten up your logging. Which means you have done great your deficit is much smaller because you lost all that weight.

where is the freakin' like button.

I agree...OP you are doing great...you are almost there...keep it up.