how is this possible?

Me and my friend both wanted to diet this year and lose some weight, I signed up to a gym and bust my *kitten* of 4-5 times a week doing HIIT Cardio and lifting weights, my friend came to the gym for 1 week and gave up and said he couldn't do it, he kept his diet in check though and did little/no exercise (playing xbox/walking to college/going into town with friends) stuff like that and he's lost loads of weight in this past 3 months and looks amazing! I've been eating a strict diet and going to the gym to lose weight And I couldn't even compare my progression to his... I've lost over a stone and so has he but his body looks alot better than mine and I've been going to the gym and he hasnt? i'm starting to think that gym means **** for weight loss, gym is just good for muscle and toning, diet is for weight loss... it pisses me off how he can sit at home and play games and stuff and he still get's really slim? and I have to go to the gym and put effort in to get my results.. I really am thinking about quitting the gym because of this, how is he losing loads of weight without the gym? :(

Replies

• ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    I am sorry to tell you, it is 80% diet. So many people lose weight but just watching what they eat. That being said, going to the gym will probably help you out in the long run because you will have a stronger body. Also, you may not be losing as fast because of the whole "muscle weighs more than fat" thing...and your friend may have an easier time because he isn't having to figure out his exercise calories.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Unfortunately, every body loses weight differently so you MUST try not to compare yourself to anyone else and their progress! It's the harsh reality but it's life...not fair! Suck it up! Move on! :bigsmile:
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Genetics plays a big part , exercise and diet is extremely important but there is the genetic factor.

The only person you should compare yourself to is you.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Diet and probably fat burners...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    i'm starting to think that gym means **** for weight loss, gym is just good for muscle and toning, diet is for weight loss...

You are right. I lift weights for body composition improvements and I run so I can eat more calories while maintaining my diet. Weight loss and gain is based on diet. You cannot gain weight without excess calories and you cannot lose weight without a caloric deficit. That's life.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    You also said he walks everywhere. He could be burning a lot of calories depending on how much he is walking every week. You may not see that as exercise, but it is.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Its all about diet. If your trying to lose fat or gain muscle, your strength training program should be the same. The only difference between gaining muscle and losing fat is how you eat.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Think of this As long term. What do you want in a year? Do not compare yourself to others. Do this for you.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Me and my friend both wanted to diet this year and lose some weight, I signed up to a gym and bust my *kitten* of 4-5 times a week doing HIIT Cardio and lifting weights, my friend came to the gym for 1 week and gave up and said he couldn't do it, he kept his diet in check though and did little/no exercise (playing xbox/walking to college/going into town with friends) stuff like that and he's lost loads of weight in this past 3 months and looks amazing! I've been eating a strict diet and going to the gym to lose weight And I couldn't even compare my progression to his... I've lost over a stone and so has he but his body looks alot better than mine and I've been going to the gym and he hasnt? i'm starting to think that gym means **** for weight loss, gym is just good for muscle and toning, diet is for weight loss... it pisses me off how he can sit at home and play games and stuff and he still get's really slim? and I have to go to the gym and put effort in to get my results.. I really am thinking about quitting the gym because of this, how is he losing loads of weight without the gym? :(

O hai OP. So you found a gym that would sign you up after all, then?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1018241-gym-owner-won-t-let-me-sign-up
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Weight loss will only happen when at a caloric deficit. You don't need to work out to lose weight. You are probably eating more calories than your body requires. Working out doesn't give you a license to eat anything you want. Get your diet in check by counting your calories and knowing your macros. When you do this, you will see even better results. That being said, you should also be focused on overall health. Weight training and cardio vs sitting on your butt? What do you think is better? Overall body composition change vs just losing weight? Seeing noticeable results from training will only occur when you start tracking your diet. Its 90% diet my friend, not just training!!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member

...I have to go to the gym and put effort in to get my results.. I really am thinking about quitting the gym because of this...

I'll just let you think about that for a minute.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member

...I have to go to the gym and put effort in to get my results.. I really am thinking about quitting the gym because of this...

I'll just let you think about that for a minute.

You mean this **** takes EFFORT?? **** that...
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    2/10
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

Hmmm...
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    If you are not a troll, all I would say is this.
    How sad that your only motive for going to the gym is the weight loss, rather than health, fitness and decent body composition.