HIIT for running

Options
ds6099
ds6099 Posts: 98 Member
Any suggestions for a HIIT workout for running on the treadmill? I'm an advanced runner.
Thx!!

Replies

• bezlooney
    bezlooney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I warm up with a mile jog then do intervals of 1min @8mph/1min@6mph tepeated for however long you want your workout to be. Then i cool down with another mile
    or you can do 50/10 intervals were you sprint for 50sec then jump to the sides for the 10 sec rest
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    1. What is an "advanced runner"? (mpw? goal races? usual speed workouts?)
    2. What are you hoping to accomplish with HIIT? (benefit your running? if so, how?)

Intervals are one thing, but true HIIT should leave you a puddle on the floor after 10-15 minutes. Depending on your goals as a runner, it may not be the ideal workout for you, is all.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    As above, what's your current running profile; distance, pace, weekly mileage? And what's your objective? What types of races do you do and what type of terrain do you run on?

Notwithstanding that, I'd generally avoid doing any form of sprint intervals on a dreadmill.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You can't really do true HIIT on the treadmill.
    It neither ramps up fast enough for the short intense interval required, and neither can you adjust to your true maximum speed fast and close enough to make it all out on each intense segment.

Just do regular intervals.

http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic/IntervalTraining.html
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Treadmills usually won't go fast enough for an "advanced runner" to run max speed. I have never seen one that runs faster than 10 mph. Max speed is probably closer to 15 mph.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound off....

But a cardio glide is my fav indoor HIIT thing.

Since you can get your arms involved, at over 15 mph it gets easy to rapidly become at 95% of your max heart rate.

Just lean into it hard and go fast ! The cardio glide is great for HIIT!
  • ds6099
    ds6099 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Op here. I heard so much about HIIT I was looking forward to increasing intensity. Didn't realize the treadmill wasn't optimal.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    scottb81 wrote: »
    Treadmills usually won't go fast enough for an "advanced runner" to run max speed. I have never seen one that runs faster than 10 mph. Max speed is probably closer to 15 mph.

There are some very specialized ones that go faster, generally found at specialized sports training facilities. I would agree, the vast majority of treadmills the public sees at a store or in a gym have a top speed of around 10 MPH.

Article discussing:
    http://www.today.com/news/nfl-players-25-mph-treadmill-run-wows-internet-6C10526378
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    ds6099 wrote: »
    Op here. I heard so much about HIIT I was looking forward to increasing intensity. Didn't realize the treadmill wasn't optimal.

You're better off doing it on cycle ergometer like the original Tabata experiment if you are going to use a piece of indoor equipment.

Any reason you can't do it outside though?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I heard so much about HIIT I was looking forward to increasing intensity.

There is a lot of nonsense written about it, so it really depends what your objectives are. It might help you, it might not.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I heard so much about HIIT I was looking forward to increasing intensity.

There is a lot of nonsense written about it, so it really depends what your objectives are. It might help you, it might not.

V true.

And intervals of 170% VO2 max? I think I'll happily give that one a miss...