Describe volume eating for me please.

Options
bbontheb
bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
I like LARGE plates+bowl of salad for meals. I feel more comforted with a lot of food so been choosing protein like turkey burger plus half can salmon plus potato/sour cream, spinach or zukes, gigantic salad etc. I love texture and crunch of items and find that I feel more satisfied after a "time" spent eating versus just a quick snack. I have been eating main meals plus night time treats and it's been okay. If I don' eat such big portions at lunch and dinner I find I snack and snack and snack and never feel satisfied.

Would this mean I'm a volume eater? Can you describe your meals if you are a volume eater?

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Lots of people do better if they eat foods that have a lot of volume because the amount of food and the time it takes to eat it yields a relatively low number of calories compared to other foods that are high calorie for a small volume. Looks like that is already working for you. But it doesn't need a label.
  • bbontheb
    Options
    I'm just curious if that is what that means. I don't necessarily pick lower calorie options on purpose. I eat spinach every day because I love it same with two potatoes a day lately (haha). Just wasn't sure if I would be deemed a volume eater or not. If so, I can understand where some of my triggers or feeling unsatisfied might come from.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    I like LARGE plates+bowl of salad for meals. I feel more comforted with a lot of food so been choosing protein like turkey burger plus half can salmon plus potato/sour cream, spinach or zukes, gigantic salad etc. I love texture and crunch of items and find that I feel more satisfied after a "time" spent eating versus just a quick snack. I have been eating main meals plus night time treats and it's been okay. If I don' eat such big portions at lunch and dinner I find I snack and snack and snack and never feel satisfied.

Would this mean I'm a volume eater? Can you describe your meals if you are a volume eater?

I don't think you are a volume eater, because being a volume eater means eating big portions of food....:o).
    I also like a full plate of food. I do not eat anything " light ", " low-anything" or low fat. I east daily according to 18:6 rules ( give or take an hour ). I am much happier since I don't eat breakfast anymore. I used to think all my life that it was the most important meal. When I joined MFP I learned otherwise and now only eat two meals a day.
    I break my fast almost every day with two cups of coffee after 1pm. From 2pm to 9pm I eat two substantial meals. They are not always the same amount of calories, but they usually end up being together 1200 calories.
    I eat 1200 calories because I am almost 70 and am under 5 feet tall. Other volume eaters adjust according to their caloric needs.
    I only eat home cooked meals made from scratch ( usually whole foods ) . I have eaten like this all my life and I am not going to change, just because the majority of the MFPers tell me I should eat pizza, burgers and ice cream.
    I grew up and now live in a cook & eat at home culture and my way of eating allows me a lot of food. The way I eat allows me to eat abigger volume than pizza or burgers would
    I have my last meal before or around 9pm. I don't nack, but eat some fruit if I have calories left.
    I eat a wide variety of foods, but mostly Mediterranian, Indian, South-East Asian and of course almost every day Mexican food, because I live in Mexico and because I like it.
    Here an example from a normal day last week. It all adds up to exactly 1100 calories

Breaking Fast (After 1 Pm) Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Chol

Home Brewed Coffee - Black Coffee No Sugar or Sweetener, 12 oz 4 0 0 0 0 0

1st Meal ( After 2pm)
    Fresh Herbs - Cilantro, 1 tbsp 2 0 0 0 0 0
    Fresh - Green Onion, Chopped, 0.25 cup 10 2 0 0 5 0
    Borrelli - Extra Large Black Olives, 4.5 olives 38 2 3 0 158 0
    Fragata - Capers Nonpareilles, 2 Tbsp (15 grams) 0 0 0 0 800 0
    Tetley - Earl Grey Tea, 2 cup 0 0 0 0 20 0
    Tortillas Comercial Mexicana ( Tortilleria Mexico, D.f.) - Droelma's Favorite Corn Tortillas ( Standard Size; 2 Tortillas Per Portion ), 3 tortillas ( per website ) 145 30 1 3 30 0
    Droelma's Ricotta Cheese - Home Made From Low Fat Milk, 2.5 oz/ 28 gr 98 4 6 8 89 22

2nd Meal ( Before 9 Pm )
    meatball - Beef Meatball, 2 ball 114 4 7 7 268 42
    Homemade Pinto Frijoles De La Olla Con Caldito - (Boiled Pinto Beans With Broth), 0.5 Cup cooked 60 10 0 11 6 0
    Sos - Arroz Integral, 50 g 177 37 1 3 0 0
    Homemade - Quick Tomato Sauce, 0.35 cup 42 6 2 1 86 0
    Casera - Calabacitas A La Mexicana, 123 gr 54 8 2 2 15 0
    Generic - Vietnamese Pickled Vegetables, 0.5 cup 60 13 0 1 0 0
    Homemade - Cucumber, Tomato, and Onion Salad, 1.5 cup 58 8 3 1 202 0

Other Foods (1pm - 10 Pm)
    Nespresso - Café Con Leche, 200 ml 52 4 3 3 0 0
    Papaya - Papaya, 200 gm 86 22 1 1 16 0
    Fresh Fruit - Raw Mango, 155.25 g

• bbontheb
    Options
    Thank you! We eat mostly at home as well. I did eat at a kid's school event twice the last month but haven't eaten a single thing out in 3 months (including coffee etc). Your meals sound very good!!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I eat lots of small meals these days. If I eat big meals, I get hungrier later and it kind of sits in there feeling all full and heavy when I eat it.

I still eat a big volume of food, I just break it up into smaller meals. :)