Do you make pretty food for yourself?

jadedone
jadedone Posts: 2,446 Member
I posted a rare dinner pic on Facebook and a friend wondered if I was entertaining. But it was just a Sunday night dinner for me (I live alone). I do try to make my plate attractive. I find it fun and it doesn't add much time to place food intentionally. So do you dress up your plates before you serve them?

Replies

• ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    No :(
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Well it looks appetizing, but not set up like a 4 star restaurant or anything.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    edited June 2015
    I don't go for fancy plating, but when I have time, I go for nice napery, an individual cream pitcher for my coffee, etc. Little things to elevate the experience.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    edited June 2015
    Yes and no. I like fresh thyme on my scrambled eggs and they sit on brown bread, so when I sprinkle the thyme on, the whole plate looks kind of pretty. Matches my plates, too.

I don't knock myself out making pretty food, though. Most things don't match the plates, either, so there's that.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    No, i often just throw it onto the plate. I dont even try to make it pretty because nothing about my cooking is pretty
  • irisgal345
    irisgal345 Posts: 96 Member
    I have really developed a liking for Japanese cooking. I think because the presentations are all so beautiful. I take the time to make a deal of my meals. Part of eating healthy is enjoying the food as well. My lunches are usually in Bento boxes and everyone comments on them. Over time I've also collected a nice eclectic collection of interesting small dishes to make a nice presentation.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    edited June 2015
    Yes, I usually do. M Dr. told me that I should do a food blog, with the foods I have shown to her. This is tonights dinner. Halibut, tomatoes with fresh mozzarella, corn and salad. uin89fhcr2sm.jpg
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Lol yea always. I have a food IG, so I love posting pretty pics of food :)
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Dinners? Not really; I'm usually too tired when I get home to bother. As long as it tastes good, I'm happy, although I'm not sloppy about it either. I'm a great believer that people eat with their eyes just as much as any of their other senses, so food that looks horrible is generally something I avoid.

That is why lunch is a different story for me. Just like @irisgal345 , I bento:
    2bnumzdanwti.jpg
    vhfwfskg17qr.jpg
    nvxduumntor1.jpg
    mrs63oqsftet.jpg
    hyib9h9qnxer.jpg
    mu6smbkfxp3k.jpg
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    If I have time and the patience, I try to make my food look nice. I don't always pull it off though!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Oh yes, I add red pepper and cabbage (etc.) for the red and purple (or whatever) colors and spend a little time on presentation. I'd like to take a class on carving shapes from foods like I get from my Thai restaurant.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Sometimes. I've made pretty mason jar salads and plated my breakfast.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Sometimes I do. What's more important to me is that I make delicious food for just me :p
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    yes....presentation is important.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    All my colorful veggies look beautiful and tempting on in my bowl!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Nope.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    No. Not at all. If we have people over I'll use nice serving dishes but on an average day, we will take the baking dish or pot/pan to the table and serve straight from it or if we plate the food over on the counter we don't really try to make it look pretty.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    yes, when I have the time and chance, yes. I love photographing food anyways
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    No. Other than weighing and dividing recipes, I'm very lazy when it comes to preparing food.

I do put more effort into baking.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    nope. I live alone and eat almost everything out of a bowl, or straight from the pots and pans to save messing up another dish I have to wash. I don't have a kitchen table - so it's not like i'm sitting down to a plate of food anyway. I eat on the couch, but mostly standing at the kitchen counter. (I really haven't nested much in this place since moving in a year ago). I have found that it's really helped me think about food as fuel, and not as entertainment.