Hospitalized

Options
So I have been hospitalized and put on a water only diet for right now because of some intestinal problems.
So I haven't been eating my calories, I've gone 2 days without eating more than 300'ish calories.
Is this really going to screw up my weight loss? Is my body going to go into starvation mode

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So I have been hospitalized and put on a water only diet for right now because of some intestinal problems.
    So I haven't been eating my calories, I've gone 2 days without eating more than 300'ish calories.
    Is this really going to screw up my weight loss? Is my body going to go into starvation mode

You're in hospital... They know what they're doing... Focus on getting better not calorie goals.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

"Starvation mode" is a myth. If it were true, noone would ever die from famine.

Please listen to your doctors and I hope you get well soon.
  • missmatalini
    missmatalini Posts: 30 Member
    Options

You're in hospital... They know what they're doing... Focus on getting better not calorie goals.

I don't doubt the doctors know what they are doing...that wasn't the question. The question was how is this going to affect my weight loss when I'm back to my everyday lifestyle. Thanks though....
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

I don't doubt the doctors know what they are doing...that wasn't the question. The question was how is this going to affect my weight loss when I'm back to my everyday lifestyle. Thanks though....

It's not - you may get a scale weight fluctuation when you return to eating normally because you will once again build up waste from eating real food in your intestinal tract, and replenish your glycogen stores in your liver .. so as long as that doesn't freak you out (it could be around 10lbs from your liquid only diet) and you give it a few weeks to settle down all will be well.

No such thing as starvation mode .. adaptive thermogenisis misunderstood

Get better! And don't worry
  • ZakiJaye
    ZakiJaye Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Obviously this will vary from person to person and depend on what the reason is behind your intestinal problems and the treatment they give you.

When last time I went through something similar my weight was down significantly when I came out of hospital, but as I went back to a normal eating routine I did put some of it back on in weeks afterwards, but didn't go above what I was before I went in it kind of just leveled out.