Dreading July 4th Weekend...

Options
Hey MFP World - anyone else dreading the upcoming holiday weekend?

I've been on a healthy lifestyle journey all year. I've lost nearly 70 pounds with another 40-60 to go. I log my food intake religiously and I'm working out 4-6 days per week. That said, I feel like I'm hitting a wall in terms of motivation and this holiday is not going to be helpful.

I'm dreading the pool parties, BBQ, food served on bread...

Each day - so many choices and decisions.

Replies

• lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    It's simply a matter of perspective. Why would you dread being around family and friends? Are they going to force feed you? Is there something stopping you from bringing a dish to pass that you feel comfortable eating? The world doesn't stop turning just because we change a habit. Some will even say it's okay to go over for a day. If you aren't comfortable with that, then enjoy a SMALL portion.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it. If pre logging helps do that but enjoy yourself. Once the weekend is over even if you really pigged out or drank like a fish don't beat yourself up about it. Just get back on it. You're allowed to let go occasionally.

Of course you can enjoy yourself while watching your portions and if family is
    Insistant Of you eating more. Load your plate and just don't eat it all.
  • runner1234b
    runner1234b Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If it's a trigger don't start it. If you want a hot dog--don't eat the bun. The carb will cause the craving not the protein.

Also, look at the holiday as being your "freedom", freedom to say no to foods because they don't make you feel good. A luxury some do not have when they are overseas fighting which is the meaning of the holiday. Dreading it so far in advance will only advance your cravings. Tell yourself you survived the year you don't need those "non-freeing" thoughts. You don't need to indulge. No more thinking.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I would be miserable if I dreaded gatherings and friends and fun and yes, food.

Go. enjoy. have fun. relax. one day will not ruin you. You have to learn to live for the rest of your life, and that will include plenty of food centric gatherings.
  • Jg04811
    Jg04811 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I usually get a great work out in during the morning then eat something very light. Then when I go to the party I have plenty of calories stored up that I can eat what I like. Don't stress or it. One meal wont make you gain just like one meal wont make you lose. Hope you have a fun time!
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    I get this completely. I'm in a groove right now and I have a bunch of family coming in this weekend. That means eating out where I have less say over what to eat (I hate eating out while dieting, love cooking). So I'm just gonna hit the cardio and lifting extra hard and hope for the best.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    The majority of people who lose weight on a diet gain it back within 5 years. The reason is they don't change the way they deal with food. Continuing to imbue food with a personality and power are sure ways to regain that weight.

If you don't start to put food into perspective, you will continue to dread any situation where you feel you are "out of control" when control has nothing to do with it.

It's very tiring and depressing to constantly be buffeted about by the stresses in your daily life.
  • Tmdesir
    Tmdesir Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I also dread the holiday weekends. I know it 's one day and it really won't kill me but I feel like it takes me off my path. I'm hoping that once I loose and I'm just maintaining it gets easier.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I will be losing weight during this weekend.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Means nothing to me....

...except we lost a large chunk of continental North America on that date once.
  • M_Foote
    M_Foote Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Means nothing to me....

...except we lost a large chunk of continental North America on that date once.

Baaaahahaha! THAT made me grin!
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm the snot at BBQs that eats all the ribs, or uses all the lettuce/toppings to make a cheeseburger salad. I also bank calories throughout the week so I can have higher calorie weekends. figure out what works for you. and don't be the party pooper because of something as trivial as food choices for a meal or two. a little water weight never hurt anyone. :)
  • Anna_Sta
    Anna_Sta Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    One day, one weekend, is not going to kill you and it will definitely not put weight on you as long as you just stick to your calorie plan! The point is to keep within your calorie limit. The enemy is NOT the food, the enemy IS yourself, your worry, the stress etc. If you go there with a stressed mind that keeps thinking to not over eat and to not eat the "bad things" you will end up increasing the chances of binging on everything. Such deprivation on social events is a baaaad thing!

Go with a relaxed mind, eat a sensible portion of what you want to enjoy, what is going to fill you up, and enjoy your time with your family! What you need to think at the end of the day is: "In the future, when your 'diet' is done, won't you be hanging with your family and friends for food every now and then?"

It did not take you 1 day to lose those 70 pounds, it won't take 1 day to put it all back. ENJOY YOURSELF and you will be FINE!
    <3
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Oh noes, a holiday is coming....

oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

Srsly...it's a weekend...that's it...big feckin' whoop. You don't go to a pool party or a BBQ and just get fat because of a holiday. Big picture...nobody gets fat because of a holiday or birthday or other special occasion...people get fat when they treat every day like a holiday or special occasion.

Just go enjoy yourself...it's a feckin' weekend...that's it...in the grand scheme of things, it's irrelevant.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Like other people have said, it is a holiday; enjoy it! If you feel as though you're comfortable jumping back on that horse on Monday, then indulging a little isn't going to hurt. If you don't want to completely derail yourself, eat sparingly during those times when you're not at an "event" so you can save calories - and avoid drinking your calories (i.e. opt for water instead of lemonade or soda).

If you're the type who feels that one loose weekend is going to throw you off for a significant amount of time, then abstain however you can. Tell yourself you can have a the pulled-meat, but leave the Texas toast or bun out of the equation. Eat the baked beans, but pass on the chips. Stay yards away from the dessert table, but go for that fruit salad.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Oh noes, a holiday is coming....

oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

Srsly...it's a weekend...that's it...big feckin' whoop. You don't go to a pool party or a BBQ and just get fat because of a holiday. Big picture...nobody gets fat because of a holiday or birthday or other special occasion...people get fat when they treat every day like a holiday or special occasion.

Just go enjoy yourself...it's a feckin' weekend...that's it...in the grand scheme of things, it's irrelevant.

I was going to say what he said, but yeah. One day will not derail you. Be mindful of what you eat, as one day of possibly going over will not hurt in the long run, and get back to work on Sunday.
  • KC5115
    KC5115 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    To be a healthy weight does not mean you can never eat a piece of cake again. Now just work on portion control. Instead of getting a huge piece of cake, bowl of icecream, etc. get a smaller portion. Eat your bbq (which has a good amount of protein) just forget the bun! Bring something that you know you will want to munch on that's healthier instead of the potato chips. There is nothing wrong with enjoying yourself on special occasions though. That's why I like counting my macros so much. I eat what I want, I just make it fit into my day. It is all about balance.

Remember that life is too short not to enjoy it :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Hey MFP World - anyone else dreading the upcoming holiday weekend?

I've been on a healthy lifestyle journey all year. I've lost nearly 70 pounds with another 40-60 to go. I log my food intake religiously and I'm working out 4-6 days per week. That said, I feel like I'm hitting a wall in terms of motivation and this holiday is not going to be helpful.

I'm dreading the pool parties, BBQ, food served on bread...

Each day - so many choices and decisions.

it's one day. are you going to freak out this much on thanksgiving, christmas??

yeah, probably.
  • LayThoseBricks
    LayThoseBricks Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    First of all - WOW! CONGRATS on your 70 pound weight loss!!
    One great thing about the 4th of July is that you can run around outside. Why not show your family and friends just how fit you are by beating them all (or giving them some great competition) at volleyball, basketball, swimming races, or my personal favorite - a dance off! ;D Burn many of those calories you are going to ingest with a fun and festive 4th of July calorie burning activity. And remember this: you have lost 70 lbs! Nothing can stop you now! Enjoy this weekend! You have come so far, so far! Celebrate your own independence day from negative thoughts and actions that might derail your own good time. Happy 4th of July!! And congratulations on the amazing results of your hard work!