What BMI does your goal weight bring you to?

Options
I am currently at 21.6 and wanting to get to 20.2. I'm at a point where it seems to be quite hard to loose more weight, or maybe it is just my attitude? It seems all about mind games at this point. Should I continue just eating at a deficit? Or do i really need to up my game to get to my goal?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm at my goal .. been around this for a few months

my BMI is around 24 - 24.3

It's probably not weight you need to look at, with a BMI so low, but your body composition .. which is addressed through progressive resistance programmes (eg bodyweight - weight lifting)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    a46378e79756000773fcee9ba88143012390.jpg

this is about body composition

Note that there is probably a year or so between each frame

see how the weight is actually increasing as the body composition improves, because that's what muscles do .. they make everything tight even though they increase the scale weight
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    20.9 BMI. 5'11 @ 150lbs. I'm happy here. I could look better if I lifted and worked out more, but I'm trying to maintain this for awhile and I'll see next steps.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I stay at about 21. And aim to be ever fitter.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I'm at about 24.4, but BMI hates tall people. I don't especially care about BMI at this point. I'm not going to adjust what I want to do with my body just because some clown at an insurance company wants to charge me more if I get over 25.
  • Dawn410
    Dawn410 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    my goal puts my BMI at 21.9. Currently at 25.6 BMI.
  • Bella77007
    Bella77007 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Am 1.3 pounds from my initial goal of 129 pounds and my BMI would then be 24.4, I might set a new goal of 126 and then I would have a BMI of 23.8.

I don't feel the need to get it much lower,am I a healthy weight? Yes, Have I increased my activity and accepted that I need to be more active and not just lighter for good health? Yes and finally do I like how I look at this size?
    Well I have a wrinkly tummy that is saggy after a lot of pregnancies but aside from that I am pretty satisfied,wearing the clothes I could only dream of before and feeling overall much better.

No real magic number for me in terms of BMI,it will be where I am comfortable as long as it remains healthy.
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for around 23 so I am solidly into the normal range.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    At 5' 3.5" and 134 pounds, my BMI is currently 23.4. At my goal weight of 130, it would be 22.7. If I decide to go for 125, it'd be at 21.8 but I'd look much better than I did the last time I was at 125. BMI is a very imprecise tool for measuring health. Rabbitjb's pictures are not only inspirational, they are exactly why this is so. BMI doesn't take into account body composition, fat vs. muscle. Bodybuilders are usually in the obese to morbidly obese categories because muscle is more dense than fat.

I've been lifting heavy for the last year and I can still wear clothes I was wearing at 10 pounds lighter than I am now. I've also lost a lot of "jiggle". That's what strength training can do for you. I think you'd benefit from changing your goal from simply lowering your BMI by losing "weight" (which is losing a combination of fat, muscle and water) to lowering your body fat percentage by increasing muscle. Besides getting smaller another benefit is that it becomes easier to maintain your weight because muscle burns a little more calories than a similar amount of fat.
  • lucyholdcroft363
    lucyholdcroft363 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Currently at 21.8 and aiming for 20.5 :)
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    Aiming for 160lbs. At 5'8.5" that would put me around 24. At that point I'm gonna focus on body composition and body fat percentages while trying to maintain weight.

Rabbitjb is completely right. At that point, IMO anyways, BMI becomes inferior to BF%
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Originally the goal was 133lbs (9 1/2 stones) which put me at 21.4.

My BMI did fall to 17.9, but after putting on some weight, improving my body composition (gaining a bit more muscle) and generally being a hell of a lot fitter, my BMI is 19.8, but I'm wearing the same size clothes and I feel a hell of a lot more confident a year later.

Totally agree with others who suggest finding a resistance programme. I hated it to begin with (still don't love it some days) and I haven't made the progress or seen results quite like what others on here have achieved, but I have to admit it's done wonders for my self esteem.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    22.8 - 23.6

My weight tends to fall within that range of BMI.
    As others have said, I'm more concerned with body fat at this point.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Starting BMI: 30.0
    Current BMI: 19.9
    Goal BMI: 19.4

Goal range: 19.4- 20.1
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and at 149.6 right now, which puts my BMI at 24.9. That was my goal, so I've reached it. Now I'm just going to see what happens :)
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    20.2 is my "I'll decide what to do next" weight.
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and my goal weight is 157. That will put me at 23.2 BMI.
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Starting: 27.2
    Original Goal: 24
    Current BMI=23.4

I thought I would be happy at the upper end of BMI as I always have been and I am happy-ish. But now that I have got into the normal range I can (don't need a BF monitor!) that there is still plenty of giggle, so I am aiming to go to I guess maybe BMI of 21 or 22? I don't own a body fat monitor, but I do own a mirror, so it is more about that now.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Maintaining with a BMI of 18.7.