Map My Run Users

Options
For those of you using Map My Run, do you feel like the app gives you a fairly accurate number for the amount of calories you've burned or does it seem too high /low? Just wondering so if I'm eating back calories I'm not overdoing it! :smile: TIA!

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I find that it overestimates my burn by a couple of hundred calories.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    It gives me fewer calories than my heart rate monitor, by a significant margin. I don't know which is more accurate.
  • heyspearsy
    heyspearsy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It gives me fewer calories than my heart rate monitor, by a significant margin. I don't know which is more accurate.

I find this as well. I use a basic Polar HRM for adding exercise calories into MFP.

Just my opinion - I think whatever method you use, stay consistent, don't change the way you put exercise calories you put in, but over the long term change your base calories based on results. I use my HRM for all exercise, including running, sports, and weights. Regardless of the accuracy. I review my results monthly and tweak my calories accordingly. This method is working very well for me.
  • fbinsc
    fbinsc Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    It overestimates distance and calories when paired with my iPhone vs my Garmin. I trust the Garmin to be accurate.
  • fbinsc
    fbinsc Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Edit to add: map my run was 0.25 miles fast by mile 5 tonight vs Garmin. Not sure if it's the iPhone or the app, but considerably off. I might try endomondo next time to test it.
  • jayme03
    jayme03 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It consistently gives me 100-150 more calories than my Polar HR monitor, so I add it in manually.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    jayme03 wrote: »
    It consistently gives me 100-150 more calories than my Polar HR monitor, so I add it in manually.

How interesting that your HRM gives you fewer calories than Map My Run, while mine gives me more!
  • kate00000
    kate00000 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, everyone! The strap on my Garmin broke a while back, so I've been using Map My Run the last couple of weeks & I thought the "calories burned" seemed a little too good to be true! :smile:
  • FightMan415
    FightMan415 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Add me on map my run Darius Fightman Whetstone and yes I see its off sometimes on miles and calories