I can't lose any weight need advice!

Options
2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am a very avid exerciser I am 6'0 250lbs body fat is 22% ; on a daily basis I run 3 miles , 30 minutes on the elliptical, 15 minutes on the stationary bike ,and do about 10 strength training exercises and I am consuming approx 1,500 calories a day but I just can't seem to lose any weight why?

Don't see a doctor just yet.
    exercise more.. instead of 3mile run, do a 4 mile run.
    Instead of eating 1500 calories, eat 1700 calories
    Instead of eating a lot of carbs, try no carbs or as little as possible.
    change things up a bit for a week or two and see what happens.

Or instead of that, the OP can just open his diary. Typically the issue is logging consistency and logging accuracy.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    If all those numbers are correct, you should probably talk to a doctor about it.

Pretty much this, yeah.

Your stated BF % isn't particularly low. You're young, male, and allegedly exercise a lot. I say "allegedly" simply because I'm somewhat incredulous that you can't lose weight given your situation...outside of a medical condition, as has been suggested.

I'm not an actuary or anything, but I'd guess the more likely scenario is that some aspect of what you've described is inaccurate...and the most likely culprit (imo) for that is the amount of calories you're consuming. I'm not saying you're being dishonest or anything, but it can be quite difficult to track calories accurately, even for professional dietitians.

There are of course other avenues of discussion we could go through as others have said. Have you lost weight up until now...how consistent was that....how long is stall? But based purely on the intial info, my money is on inaccurate logging.
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    OP has only 3 posts. His profile has the minimal information. My guess is that he's a newbie and doesn't have a food diary to open because he's not been logging.

But that's just my limited judgment.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I am a very avid exerciser I am 6'0 250lbs body fat is 22% ; on a daily basis I run 3 miles , 30 minutes on the elliptical, 15 minutes on the stationary bike ,and do about 10 strength training exercises and I am consuming approx 1,500 calories a day but I just can't seem to lose any weight why?

Don't see a doctor just yet.
    exercise more.. instead of 3mile run, do a 4 mile run.
    Instead of eating 1500 calories, eat 1700 calories
    Instead of eating a lot of carbs, try no carbs or as little as possible.
    change things up a bit for a week or two and see what happens.

if OP is not losing at 1500, why would he lost at 1700?

what does carbs have to do with any of this?
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    ....you're going to destroy you're body eating that little. You're way to big and exercise too much for 1500 calories. You should be in the 2000s, probably 2500ish. That being said you should be loosing a lot of weight at 1500..
  • HummingNutter
    HummingNutter Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    As a relative noob here (79 days), I suggest getting a digital scale and weight everything you consume, look up and log everything you eat and drink and perhaps think about consulting a registered dietitian and your primary care doctor. There are medical conditions that make it harder to lose weight BUT if you know your at 22% body fat do you really need to lose weight?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    slomo22 wrote: »
    ....you're going to destroy you're body eating that little. You're way to big and exercise too much for 1500 calories. You should be in the 2000s, probably 2500ish. That being said you should be loosing a lot of weight at 1500..

without knowing what OP's true intake is, I don't see how you can state that he is "destroying his body". Also, if he is not losing at 1500 and inaccurately tracking, what do you think is going to happen when he east 2000 to 2500 ish and is not accurately tracking????
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    slomo22 wrote: »

without knowing what OP's true intake is, I don't see how you can state that he is "destroying his body". Also, if he is not losing at 1500 and inaccurately tracking, what do you think is going to happen when he east 2000 to 2500 ish and is not accurately tracking????

I don't think they were suggesting that he actually try to eat 2000-2500, just that it would be a more reasonable range for him given the available info. Hence the subsequent sentence. It's just another way of pointing out that something is off somewhere.

I think it'd be more accurate to say that he *would* be damaging his body eating that little for extended periods of time, but lack of weight loss means that conditional isn't being met.

I could be wrong, though.

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The point is...he is probably eating much more already ( he isn't losing weight so he must be eating already in maintenance)

So eating even more then he does now would be a bad idea.

Like i said before we have to wait what the OP says and if he opens his diary.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    If all those numbers are correct, you should probably talk to a doctor about it.

What makes you say that

If all your numbers were right, you'd be in a 2600 calorie deficit per day, or TDEE -63%

Something in your logging is probably off.
  • donnellharmon
    donnellharmon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    But are you weighing ALL your solid food on a food scale? So not using cups and spoons or serving sizes?
    No I'm not maybe that might be my problem
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    But are you weighing ALL your solid food on a food scale? So not using cups and spoons or serving sizes?
    No I'm not maybe that might be "is" my problem

FIFY
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    No I'm not maybe that might be my problem

yes could very well be
    Weighing is the key to get an accurate as possible calorie count.

• donnellharmon
    Options
    I just recently started using this app again I believe my problem might just be portion sizes I am On my way! To the store to purchase a food scale and i will let you guys know how it goes and how do I open my log also I have been at work all day sorry I couldn't respond earlier
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    np and you got this :)
    portion sizes can be so off lol

But you get it and will succeed
    wish you luck for sure
  • donnellharmon
    Options

wish you luck for sure

Thanks my ultimate goal is to weigh 195 lbs
  • BWBTrish
    Options

wish you luck for sure

Thanks my ultimate goal is to weigh 195 lbs

persistence. patience and your food scale will be your best friends :)