FitBit Flex Question

Options
So I have been contemplating getting a FitBit Flex for awhile now. My reservations are that I work in an office I move a lot. However I am constantly putting papers places from my chair and reaching for things. I have heard that it will count this as steps. Is that true can anyone that has a wrist one clarify this for me.

Replies

• notsofatroxy55
    notsofatroxy55 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a fitbit flex, and I really do think it counts movement of your hands as steps. To tell you the truth, I think a cheap pedometer is just as good, and I still use Myfitnesspal to track my food and exercise, The only other thing I use my Fitbit for is to track my sleep, and really I already know I don't sleep much at night. So I say if you want a new toy and have the money, go for it, but really I don't think its worth it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    spickard34 wrote: »
    So I have been contemplating getting a FitBit Flex for awhile now. My reservations are that I work in an office I move a lot. However I am constantly putting papers places from my chair and reaching for things. I have heard that it will count this as steps. Is that true can anyone that has a wrist one clarify this for me.

I have a Flex and I have not noticed extra steps from hand movements unless you actually jerk your arm. I have synced it when I sat down at my desk, then synced it again just before I got up, maybe an hour later, and I had no steps counted. I have even sat in a chair with my phone running the app and swung my arm like I do when walking and I got no steps counted. I have also held my arm completely still while walking and I got every step I took counted. Overall, it is pretty accurate. You may get a false step here and there and there will occasionally be steps that don't get counted but they balance out pretty well.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    spickard34 wrote: »

Don't overthink your step count. All that matters is the accuracy of your burn. I have a desk job, and I lost the weight & maintained with a Fitbit Flex.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users