Replacing fat with muscle

RB5790
RB5790 Posts: 817 Member
I'm fairly new to this app and it's already been a great help tracking my calories and weight loss. I recently gained 40+ pounds from college and I am looking to not only lose that weight, but build a ton of muscle! Add me if you have a similar goal or want to help motivate

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    What goal do you want first? Both cannot be done at the same time.
  • RB5790
    Lose weight
  • yopeeps025
    Lose weight

Well if your in the forums I am sure MFP already gave you a number of calories to eat for whatever pounds per week loss. Follow that. It's all trial and error to see what calories intake makes what on the scale.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Get into a progressive lifting program now while using this app to make sure you stay in a deficit. When we're in a deficit we lose water, fat, and muscle. By progressively lifting we maintain as much of that muscle as we can while losing mainly fat and water. This is where muscle definition come from, removing the fat from the muscle you're maintaining. It's quite possible you don't need to build muscle as much as you need to maintain what you already have.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    What goal do you want first? Both cannot be done at the same time.
    Yes they can, assuming he's new to lifting.
    OP: as RGv2 mentioned, start lifting.
  • yopeeps025
    edited June 2015
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Get into a progressive lifting program now while using this app to make sure you stay in a deficit. When we're in a deficit we lose water, fat, and muscle. By progressively lifting we maintain as much of that muscle as we can while losing mainly fat and water. This is where muscle definition come from, removing the fat from the muscle you're maintaining. It's quite possible you don't need to build muscle as much as you need to maintain what you already have.

Touche. OP have you ever been a lifter? I didn't really wanna touch exercise yet so OP can see the diet really matters.

• RB5790
    I lift way more than I do cardio
  • yopeeps025

Interesting. I meant like how many years have you been a lifter?
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Non_Stop wrote: »

My cardio consists of shaking the protein bottle after I finish lifting.

Legend!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Take advantage of the "noob gains" phenomenon! Do cardio and weights both. The cardio burns off the fat (while you eat at a deficit; otherwise it wouldn't work) and the weights build your muscles. It's essential to make sure you get enough protein to make this work.
  • yopeeps025
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Take advantage of the "noob gains" phenomenon! Do cardio and weights both. The cardio burns off the fat (while you eat at a deficit; otherwise it wouldn't work) and the weights build your muscles. It's essential to make sure you get enough protein to make this work.

That is why I ask how many years he lifted. to give better advice. Do we know OP is a new lifter?

• galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 683 Member
    Weight loss and fat loss is 100% diet. Abs are made 80% in kitchen 20% in gym or wherever you work out. Invest in a food scale and measuring jug weigh and measure everything you consume. Take it from me I eye balled my food then decided this stupid thing don't work. My 100g chicken breast was actually 220g so logging accurately is vital. Exercise is important if you need it. Lifting weights will stop lean muscle being lost so you lose mainly fat and cardio increases endurance stamina and also gives larger calorie deficit or use it to eat a treat. Good luck and welcome
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Since you're relatively new have someone check your form on all movements in your lifting program. I only say this as after 20 years of training and multiple injuries I started working out with a professional body builder and she pointed out numerous flaws in my form. I'm now lifting way beyond my previous maximums and have not had one injury.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    OP - I would suggest looking into a good beginner program like strong lifts, starting strength, all pro beginner, etc. You are going to need to cut down to about 15% ish body fat and then run a bulk. As you are new to lifting, you will get some good newbie gains with your lifting program, but that will peter out after about six months to a year.

I would say ..

keep eating in a deficit
    pick a structured lifting program and consistently run it
    make sure that you hit macros …= about .85 gram of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat per pound of body weight; fill in rest with carbs
    Mix in some cardio on off days if you want to ..not necessary but will get your burns up.
    Repeat this until you get your body fat % down.

when complete consider a bulk/cut cycle, or recomp.

oh and you are not going to "replace fat with muscle" just saying...