shoes for fitness classes etc

Options
What kind of shoes do you wear for various fitness classes, etc? I have running shoes, but I've been advised to save them for running only. So I'll need to get a second pair for general fitness use. I know there are cross trainers, but I don't know whether it makes sense to get a pair of those, or just a second pair of running shoes that I use for other activities. Thoughts?

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Please do!
    The athletic shoe companies in their infinite wisdom can't seem to make one single pair of shoes that covers all activities... they are smart! :wink: I made the mistake of using my cross trainers for running and dance and I lost my big toe nails as a result! Gross, I know! Anyway... I have a pair of Nike cross trainers for HIIT/Cross-Fit/MMA and weight lifting. They are light and flexible but provide the support and stability I need for intense activities. They are also great for lateral movements and have a lot of stick. I have a pair of Brooks for running. I find them to be the best for back to front motion and they provide me with a lot of support for the constant pounding on the pavement. They also have excellent tread for trail running. For dance I am an Asics girl and find the Gel Noosa to be the best... lightweight, stable, good ankle support and flexible with a ton of bounce back for those intense dance moves. So yeah... I switch between three pairs of atheltic shoes depending upon my activity. Hope this helps.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have Brooks GTS14's for HIIT/Weight Lifting. It's a stability shoe which is good for me since I have plantars fasciitis. I will note, that I do not run.

I will say, I tried multiple cross trainers over the past few years, but the best thing I ever did was go to a running store and get fitted and let them know what the shoes would be used for. It just happened that my orthopedic recommended the same set up.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It's largely personal preference, but as with your running shoes, fit matters. Personally, I like something as minimal as I can get. The last thing I want is a bunch of foam under me affecting my stability. For me, that's either New Balance Minimus or Inov8 F lites.

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Running is a front to back activity and shoes for that are padded accordingly. If you cross-train - that is, use machines, do Zumba - any activity with a side to side motion - you need shoes that are padded both front and back and on each side. They are called either cross fit shoes or cross trainers or trainers.

And shoes need to be replaced - don't get $400 shoes if you know what's good for you !!!
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Oh, goodness, I can't imagine spending $400 on a fitness shoe that needs regular replacement!