Options
2»

Replies

• Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Here are the meats I like the best!

Lean pork tenderloin
    Trout, halibut, cod, catfish etc (whatever has a good price)
    Ground venison, elk, buffalo or extra-lean beef
    Turkey
    Jerky of all kinds
    Tofu can be good, if cooked right (get extra firm, not super firm - better calorie/protein/fiber ratio)
    Red lentils - I have a great soup recipe if you want it!

• PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Eat more pork chops. Lean pork (like pork loin) is pretty comparable to chicken breast. A 75 gram serving of pork loin is only 180 calories, only 57 calories more than a similarly sized serving of chicken breast. And turkey. 75 grams of oven roasted turkey breast has only 101 calories. If you have access to venison, it's almost as low calorie as turkey, 112 calories for a 75 gram serving.

I find that eating the same thing over and over until I get sick of it only leads me to cheat, and that's never a wise move.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Go crazy, have some King Crab legs!!
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Lean pork loin. Slightly less protein but tasty and different.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also, if you need meal ideas for variety, check out www.mccormick.com . I have yet to find a bad recipe on that site.
  • daniellepstewart209
    daniellepstewart209 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ostrich is really lean, so is kangaroo. They are affordable now. Lean mince beef? Just don't over cook it as there's less fat and it will dry out. Turkey thigh mince is lovely. Lean pork, shrimp, tuna steak, monkfish, most things. Just buy from a butcher so you know there's nothing added and season yourself. Sooo much easier. I don't limit my meat or fish intake, but I would rather use my calories do a steak than a dessert! X
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    samdavis88 wrote: »
    You could also try some vegetarian options, like quinoa or other grain-based dishes that are moderately high in protein and fiber, not to mention filling. Moving away from meat-based meals can be cheaper and just as delicious.

Also, you could try some different sausages. Costco has some A+++ chicken sausages, like Aidell's Mango+Jalapeño Chicken Sausage...

I like going vegetarian at least a day or two each week. I sometimes get tired of eating meat. Cottage cheese over fresh fruit or a chopped salad is a nice change from the usual salad with grilled chicken.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @iamcrayon - you may develop a whole new appreciation for chicken if you bake bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    why are you just eating chicken? what's wrong with fish, shell fish, lean cuts of pork, lean cuts of beef, etc? why do so many people think they can eat nothing but chicken? baffling....

Exactly correct; "baffling" is the word I would use too.

No offense OP - it sounds like you're really trying hard and are on the right track- but it's almost like we as a society have a "diet protocol" that says all you can eat is chicken breast and steamed vegetables.

How about:
    Frozen pizza
    BLTs
    Kielbasa
    Omelettes
    Grilled cheese sandwiches
    Tacos
    Caprese salad
    Pad thai with tofu

Although the salmon sounds pretty good too.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Have you tried hot pockets? Even the ones with chicken have barely any chicken.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Usually for lunch I eat "clean", so it usually consists of two yogurts (love yogurt), Quest chips, and some sort of meat....usually Chicken, steak, pork, the flavored tuna packets with some mayo, tilapia, salmon, or the Boca burgers.
  • arethaholly
    arethaholly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try this! http://www.budgetbytes.com/2015/05/curried-potato-with-poached-egg-meal/

I made it over the weekend. I didn't add the eggs, but did add in eggplant, zucchini, and then chickpeas for protein. It was great! To make it feel more like a meal, cook some brown rice & eat it with that. So good!