Isometric Exercises

Options
kandell
kandell Posts: 473 Member
Hi everyone! So I'm getting back on the horse for what feels like the billionth time...But I'm pretty motivated this time around!

This time, my plan is to exercise 5x a week (20-30 minutes of cardio, then free weights and some bodyweight exercises like crunches and squats) and keep a tighter leash on my calorie intake. I'd like to do some body recomp while I lose weight, and I was wondering if isometric exercises are helpful for this?

I have a desk job in a very open environment, so I can't do much exercising at work. I'm going to 10-15 min walks over lunch, but I can't exactly take a break and do lunges without the privacy of an office. Well I could, but I'd look ridiculous. While thinking about my options, though, I thought about just flexing muscles while I'm working. Flexing my abs or butt is subtle enough that people won't notice. But what I'm wondering is will it make a noticeable difference with my other exercise/eating plans, in regards to how my body will look or will it just make my exercising a little easier? Does anyone else have experience with supplementing their workouts with isometrics? Is this a stupid thing to be asking?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Isometrics are used a lot in rehab because you don't need equipment and the user can control the resistance. Will it make your body look different? Probably not. Can you increase strength with it? Yes to a point. It can keep muscle active so atrophy doesn't happen and even just doing it a little adds to your NEAT.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png