Exercise while Sunburnt?

Options
hush7hush
hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
My mind is telling me no.
But my body,
My body's telling me yeeeeeehessss.

Okay, now that I got that out of the way. Anyone think it's okay to exercise with sunburnt legs or should I keep off of them for fear of the extra body heat causing some pretty intense pain? (I've got a zumba class tonight that I want to go to but I'm not sure if it's a 100% grand idea.)

Thanks!

Replies

• hush7hush
    Options
    Any input?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have never had sunburned legs. Does it really hurt that much?
  • hush7hush
    Options
    It's okay if I'm not moving but when I'm walking it starts to sting. I'm worried about the combination of the extra body heat, the movement, and the sweat causing it to get worse. I can suck it up as long as it's not going to make it any worse. I've never had sunburned legs before either. It's quite irritating more than anything.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't think you can make a sunburn worse in any way other than getting more sun. That said, I think you're going to find it a painful experience. I had a really bad burn one weekend when I was in high school and had to go to gymnastics practice that following Monday afternoon. My coach had no sympathy and lets just say that 30+ years later I still remember what a miserable afternoon that was.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I would lay off for 2 days. This is going to cause a lot of suffering.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Take a cool bath and slather on the aloe tonight, see how you feel tomorrow. I'm pasty colored and get sunburned a lot, if you overdo it tonight then you could really start feeling crappy. Better to wait a day or two and be healthy & happy.
  • hush7hush
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I knew I probably shouldn't do it, I just needed a little reassurance I wasn't being a big baby about it lol.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Get some cold flannels and then some aftersun on those scorched legs. Take it easy!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Skipping workouts due to sunburn? That's gotta be a new low in excuses.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    There are sunburns and there are sunburns. Besides, taking a day off from exercise is not necessarily a bad thing when you're injured and if you think a sunburn isn't an injury, you'd never really had one.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You're not going to make it worse, so if you can deal with it and want to deal with it, then go for it. If you can't/don't, then don't.

I'd probably go with tighter fitting clothes so they don't move while you workout. Getting them on might suck, but once there are there you should be ok.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I think if you drink lots of water, use an aloe lotion (maybe not a gel since it dries weird) and choose your pants carefully you'll be ok. Something really soft, not tight... or wear a bright pink leotard with high cut leg holes and yellow wrist and head bands - just go all 80's on that Zumba (added bonus, no clothes on your legs).
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    There are sunburns and there are sunburns. Besides, taking a day off from exercise is not necessarily a bad then when you're injured and if you think a sunburn isn't an injury, you'd never really had one.

Or maybe different people deal with/handle pain differently.
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Go swimming instead. :)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    There are sunburns and there are sunburns. Besides, taking a day off from exercise is not necessarily a bad then when you're injured and if you think a sunburn isn't an injury, you'd never really had one.

You can get 3rd degree burns from the sun.......

OP - if you want, give it a go! Excess sweating would cause more discomfort, and just stop if it's bugging you too much!
    Aloe, water, and then a cold shower/ice bath works great too!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    You can actually get "sun poisoning" with a burn. If it's uncomfortable, I wouldn't push it.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/sun-poisoning
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

I've thrown up, passed out and had seizures from sunburn. Don't hate on the pale people, man.
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

I've thrown up, passed out and had seizures from sunburn. Don't hate on the pale people, man.

Then you had sunstroke. And you should be more careful. Paleness is not an excuse for not protecting yourself properly.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Then you had sunstroke. And you should be more careful. Paleness is not an excuse for not protecting yourself properly.

No, you can get it from sunBURN, meaning hours or a day later at home. See my "sun poisoning" link.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

What does that have to do with anything? Pain is not a good indicator for the severity of a burn, anyway. Generally the more painful it is, the less damage has been done.

OP, whether you go or not is up to you. The burn doesn't sound too bad, but it will hurt unless you buy some of that lidocaine spray you can buy at the drugstore and apply it liberally. I'd also recommend liberally applying some good moisturizing lotion - aloe or something else soothing.