I really struggle on the weekends.

Options
13»

Replies

• Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the helpful responses, I feel much better. I am going to plan healthy meals for the weekend, bank some calories for the nights I know I'm going out, and make it a priority to get a great workout in both days. Thanks again for all the help!
  • felblossom
    felblossom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I used to be in the same boat, and I had a lot of social events that I "had" to attend, which included a lot of both food and drinks. Almost weekly I went to fancy pats three course dinners with table serving and no portion control, also with drinks, beer, wine etc served at the table. I was also very lightly active, mainly walking for exercise. I still managed to slowly, but steadily, lose weight! A bit of self-control goes a long way; turning down dessert, or the refill of the wine-glass, drinking a glass of water instead of going for beer number two. It might slow you down, but having a social life shouldn't stop you from reaching your goals. :smile:

These days my social life is slightly less intense, and I look at weekends as a great opportunity to get out and stay active! I get up and get a work-out in, then do a run or a long walk and still have time to kick back, relax and go out with my friends with a couple of extra calories to do so :)
  • runrun87
    runrun87 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Same here! You're definitely not alone. It's hard for me to order a salad or grilled chicken when everyone else is eating pizza and nachos haha. Stay strong! :)
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I don't drink so I don't have this problem, but when my husband is home we tend to eat out more often on the weekends, which can totally derail the diet for me.

I do try to limit the number of times we eat out - maybe go out just once on the weekend and find something else that's fun to do the other evening? Even eliminating 2 nights out per month could save you a considerable amount of calories.

On the day we are planning to eat out I do cut back earlier in the day - eat a lighter lunch or even eliminate lunch and we go out for an earlier dinner. I may throw in an extra walk or run an extra mile more than I normally would too.

I do agree that you need to find ways now to deal with socializing - it's not like you are never going to socialize again just to maintain your goal weight!
  • jodienjayden
    jodienjayden Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My problem is that I am diligent and spot on with my deficit during the week, and then I obliterate it during the weekend with alcohol and the subsequent food choices.

I "officially" weigh in every Friday. The past few Fridays I have weighed in around 137 (137.4, 137.2, 137.8). Then I go overboard on the weekend and bloat up to 143-144 come Monday. Work hard during the week to get down around 137 again on Friday. Then repeat. And now here I am again on another Monday, angry with myself. I would have been to goal months ago had I stayed consistent.

I know what I'm doing wrong and that I can't expect to reach my goals without putting forth the effort and changing my lifestyle. I'm hoping writing it out will help hold me accountable. And any advice from someone who's been in a similar situation would also be much appreciated. Thanks!

I could have written this myself! Same here! I started in November at 209 and have made it to my goal weight of 135. I don't stay there though. I do great like you, during the week. Then on the weekends I endure a bit alcohol wise and food wise and end up Monday weighing 141 or sometimes more. I think today, in fact I have finally come to terms with it that I am happy with my weight. I want to enjoy the weekends, and I am just not going to sacrifice them, haha. I'll continue being good during the week though.
  • QuallyLeShay
    QuallyLeShay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Have you given any thought to eating different calorie allotments on weekdays vs. weekends? Sure, you could just eat at maintenance on the weekend but you could also choose to eat 100 less calories each day on the weekdays, since you have the discipline to meet your goals those days. That would then give you an extra 500 calories for the weekend. You'd still have to maintain a little discipline but it would give you a little more wiggle room for some weekend fun while still working toward the same goal.

This^

Zig-zag your calories. If you eat small a couple days a week....you can bank those calories for the weekend.

Why have I not done this?! I'm so good during the week and the weekends come and Monday I'm back to losing the same 3 lbs. I'm gonna try this!