Sugar substitutes, any good choices out there?

Options

Replies

• sheltrk
    sheltrk Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yellow, blue, green or pink? ;)

I like sucralose (yellow/Splenda) and aspartame (blue/Equal). Sucralose is a bit more expensive, so I typically buy the aspartame packets for my coffee or tea-sweetening purposes at home. Sucralose can be used in baked goods without losing sweetness, so it's handy for that. Note however, it is *not* an all-purpose sugar-replacement in things like cookies or cakes. I do not like the taste of stevia (green packets typically), or saccharin (Sweet 'n Low--pink).
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I think its very personal
    I love Truvia but hate the after taste of the liquid Truvia

but according to your other thread you have a problem to hit the calories you need
    So why replace? Like i said before eat the more dense foods so also sugar instead of a substitute.

But my humble opinion.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    If you have no medical conditions, artificial sweeteners are fine. I personally hate stevia- tastes gross to me.

Ditto, seeew gross!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I evaluate the claims based on evidence. The anti-artificial sweetener arguments IMO, land in the fear-mongering category. Solid double-blind peer reviewed studies consistently show that the approved artificial sweeteners are safe.

Artificial sweeteners have not hindered my weight loss in the least. I use aspartame, sucralose, and stevia, no matter how they are packaged or hidden in foods.

Stevia, by the way, has not been approved by the FDA as a sugar replacement, and is instead marketed as a nutritional supplement (less stringent testing required). It's popular because it is perceived to be more "natural", being a leaf extract.

[Edited to add a trusted opinion.]

Seems like refined stevia has moved from nutritional supplement to sweetener:

Has Stevia been approved by FDA to be used as a sweetener?

Based on its review of information and data submitted by industry, FDA has concluded there is no basis to object to the use of certain refined Stevia preparations in food. These refined Stevia preparations may be lawfully marketed and added to food products sold in the United States.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Log 2 tsp sugar in your diary

See how many calories it is?

Surprised?

I know it fits in your target calories

There's your answer

yeah only 15 calories per packet, i also heard that the body treats artificial sweeteners like sugar anyways. have you heard of that as well? anyone heard that?

No, it doesn't.

I like whatever is in the pink packet, personally. Artificial sweeteners and diet soda are, for me, and easy wa to cut calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I think it is a very individual thing. At one time I stopped using artificial sweeteners for nearly a year and that made dieting harder. I am able to stay trim much easier with them. I do like stevia. I don't think diet soft drinks are "the devil" as many would have us believe...love to get a diet fountain drink on a summer afternoon at the sip and pump.

Agreed, i mean how many obese people do you see drinking diet soda year after year with no change? there is something to that

Yes, studies have shown that artificial sweeteners can cause you to crave more sugar: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @shawnmstout I hear all sorts of things. I dislike rumors. Really, really dislike them. If you are going to make your diet choices based on the loudest rumor, you are in for a rollicking ride.
  • shawnmstout
    shawnmstout Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @shawnmstout I hear all sorts of things. I dislike rumors. Really, really dislike them. If you are going to make your diet choices based on the loudest rumor, you are in for a rollicking ride.

i base my opinion on these discussions, the intelligent people that i interact with here that has already been dieting and reading many many many articles online. it is not based on 1 thing and i can easily change my mind as well to something new. I just like discussing and pointing out things i have heard to see if there is any truth to it, as far as the loudest voice, it is more like the more evidence.

on this subject, however, it is very mixed up and i havent found very much research one way or the other.
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I think it is a very individual thing. At one time I stopped using artificial sweeteners for nearly a year and that made dieting harder. I am able to stay trim much easier with them. I do like stevia. I don't think diet soft drinks are "the devil" as many would have us believe...love to get a diet fountain drink on a summer afternoon at the sip and pump.

Agreed, i mean how many obese people do you see drinking diet soda year after year with no change? there is something to that

Yes, studies have shown that artificial sweeteners can cause you to crave more sugar: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

That may of been what i was reading about. that is the problem when you read so much, the data starts getting mixed in all together and you know you read it but forget where and in what context.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    The FDA won't because there's no money to be made with it. The stevia leaf can't be patented because it's a plant. I like stevia but it messes with my digestion (constipation) so I use it sparingly. Splenda is okay, I guess but I either don't sweeten stuff or I just use regular sugar.

• BWBTrish
    Options
    Just remember @shawnmstout There is no good and bad food....there is TOO MUCH food that harms ( think of medical issues) us and or make us gain weight.

And in medical i mean that you can have an allergy for certain foods, or are a diabetic or like me i cant have salt for my exploding BP.
    This doesn't mean that foods are bad.

It means you cant have them or you have to watch out with them.
    So base your opinions on your own health and body.

I love...love salt... crisps bring them on.. sandwich meats yummmm But i have to be wise. I eat them dont get me wrong. I balance them out with my other ( healthier choices).
    So with sugar and artificial sweeteners
    I love tea but i take a sweetener in it. But i sure eat my fruits ( which have sugar too).

I am a strong believer that you can eat everything you want ( as long you have no medical issue with certain foods) as long as you dont eat TOO MUCH that is the only danger.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    All substitutes taste nasty to me so i just use real sugar and fit it into my calories for the day
  • Kierasm1
    Kierasm1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm all about sucralose when I'm usinog a substitute.

hi I'm currently using sucralose do you have any recommendations on a good brand
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    Just remember @shawnmstout There is no good and bad food....there is TOO MUCH food that harms ( think of medical issues) us and or make us gain weight.

And in medical i mean that you can have an allergy for certain foods, or are a diabetic or like me i cant have salt for my exploding BP.

I love...love salt... crisps bring them on.. sandwich meats yummmm But i have to be wise. I eat them dont get me wrong. I balance them out with my other ( healthier choices).
    I love tea but i take a sweetener in it. But i sure eat my fruits ( which have sugar too).

I am a strong believer that you can eat everything you want ( as long you have no medical issue with certain foods) as long as you dont eat TOO MUCH that is the only danger.

Makes sense but that super sized triple baconator meal from wendys is where that philosophy goes wrong at. I mean there are some foods that are really bad for our body. by the way, my last time i cheated that is what i ate which is why i brought it up, ouch!!!

• shawnmstout
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    All substitutes taste nasty to me so i just use real sugar and fit it into my calories for the day

i agree, i just started the transfer from sugar over to artificial but i mainly wanted to see what the drawbacks were before i made my tastebuds suffer
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Makes sense but that super sized triple baconator meal from wendys is where that philosophy goes wrong at. I mean there are some foods that are really bad for our body. by the way, my last time i cheated that is what i ate which is why i brought it up, ouch!!!

I would like to know how, exactly, that burger is bad for your body.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I wouldn't say the baconator is bad for you per say, just hard to fit into a daily calorie goal for most.

zl3f855b7528.png

And on topic, I don't really like the taste of artificial sweeteners. I just like regular sugar in my coffee in the morning.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    For my daily coffee I use one packet of apartame. Occasionally I will drink a diet pop.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    why? i would eat it...sometimes..ones a year

or whatever
    Its all in control and moderation
    And yes when you get out of control then dont
    But just fit it in your calorie allowance

I eat it all healthy, junk foods, candy cheese cake ice..... Everything what fits in my calorie allowance and some days i go over too. Why not? It is eating surplus what makes you gain weight. Not going over your calorie allowance.

Its just common sense, using your brain and not making this journey a struggle.

People sometimes say it isn't easy doing this...well to me it is. I eat it all make my choices, when i want chocolate i eat chocolate which means i cant have that cappuccino today but tomorrow i can :)

I am never hungry, i am full of energy
    My BP went in the last 8 months back from almost 200/123 to 112/62
    sugar levels are perfect again
    And i feel damm good

I just weigh everything!!!!!! and count and dont make it hard on myself. When i sneak in a crisp i do...i weigh it and log it. And when my weight fluctuates because of the water i gain, i dont moan...tomorrow its gone. Keep it simple!!!!!