How do you beat those afternoon sweet cravings?

Options
This is always the time of day that I find myself wanting something sweet (i.e. chocolate). I just started my clean eating/working out routine today and I'm determined not mess up on day 1, but man, if there was chocolate within reach right now, I'd be hurtin' pretty bad right now :D

Anyone else struggle with afternoon sweet cravings? How do you work through them? Any healthy alternatives (that actually taste good lol)?

frabz-im-craving-chocolate-but-i-only-have-healthy-food-in-the-fridge-4c5a9f.jpg

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm due for a nectarine in about 45 minutes...
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Can you fit a daily chocolate portion into your daily calorie goal?
    If you deprive yourself for long periods of time you will be more likely to overdo.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I eat something sweet. Just stocked up on cookies and cake. I keep dark chocolate on hand too as well as an assortment of fresh fruits, Popsicles and sometimes ice cream. I just have what I want and work it into my day. But I have a calorie allowance that allows that sort of thing and earn a lot of exercise calories most days as well.
  • Anna_Sta
    Anna_Sta Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It may sound like a funny suggestion: tea! You are probably thinking "but that's not sweet!" but it really does beat that craving in the evenings. Especially sweet tea, like liquorice tea (best) or raspberry green tea etc. If you really can't stand the taste to start with, try adding some honey or sugar in it. Pure tea tastes awful in the beginning but once you have it for a couple of weeks and you start reducing the sugar, you will find yourself addicted to some flavours.

If that just doesn't work for you, I would say just let yourself have some of the chocolate. Just don't binge on it. Allow yourself all food groups and you will find yourself having less cravings. A small piece of chocolate (50-100 cals) is honestly not going to hurt you at all. :)
  • marthaelisa80
    marthaelisa80 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Try eating dry fruit like banana chips or mixed dried fruit and handful of dry cranraisins it really helped me. I only crave chocolate now around my period but that's it.
  • Tigey72
    Tigey72 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check your nutrition pie chart. Cravings usually come when you are out of balance. The closer I stay to the recommended percentages the less hungry I am and the faster I lose weight. Before snaking check your chart and try to balance.
  • Golda5775
    Golda5775 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree with anna. Tea is a really awesome way to control sweet cravings!
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Inhale some grapefruit essential oil. Or experiment with different oils. I really believe in the power of aromatherapy. That being said, so I think essential oils make you lose weight? No. Do I think they help with emotional balancing in your brain that cause cravings? Yes!!
  • louised85
    louised85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    In the afternoon at work when I get a chocolate craving I have a Highlights Hot Chocolate, only 40cals and really sorts out my sweet tooth!
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have a 95/5 rule - 5% of my daily calories can be sweet/sugary. That way I can stay true to my goal.
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Cadburys minis/homemade yogurt-berry frozen pops/chocolate covered frozen banana. But my favorie is a cup of tea with milk and stevia.
  • Bacchants
    Bacchants Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    As it's been hot lately I've been having an afternoon snack of an ice cream (either a mars choc ice or oreo ice cream sandwich). That or fun size choc bars are good for me.

It's a bunch of sugar, but having a nice afternoon treat now and then stops me binging later. Although some days I go for frozen/fresh fruit to nibble.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have a Quest protein/fiber bar every afternoon. Gets me through the rest of the day until supper, even on my swimming days.