Why does strength training seem so boring compared to cardio?

Options
Please help me like the idea of strength training by giving me suggestions!

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I have the exact opposite opinion. Cardio is the worst lol.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Challenge yourself. :)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    People have different preferences. Weird, right?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    are you doing any kind of actual program? have you established any actual goals related to your resistance training?
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Start using challenging weights and you won't be so bored.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Start a progressive program that continues to challenge you, then you wont get bored
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    If you prefer cardio you might like to do kettlebells for your resistance/strength training. I love them.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Setting and breaking PRs -- grinding away until you make/break them -- is immensely satisfying. All you want is more and more.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    It just depends on you. I prefer weight training to cardio for sure.
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I felt the exact same way, until I started working with a personal trainer. Now I actually have direction & even though it's still not my favorite thing I don't feel like I'd rather have a root canal than lift weights.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    what?????
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You could try kettlebells. I know lots of people who HATE lifting weights but love kettlebells!
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    you should be scared! Not bored :) Like I'm gonna squat this weight with no spotters, it's close to my 1RM and I might not make it kind of scared. Strength training needs goals.

I couldn't think of anything worse than 45 mins on a bike, treadmill or elliptical. Mind numbing. That's why I box for my cardio, it's more fun.
  • melodyis4reals
    melodyis4reals Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Noodle797 wrote: »
    I felt the exact same way, until I started working with a personal trainer. Now I actually have direction & even though it's still not my favorite thing I don't feel like I'd rather have a root canal than lift weights.

You hit the nail on the head, I have no direction. With cardio, I just go. With strength training, I don't know what to do next! I get bored and go back to cardio.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

this
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    I have the exact opposite opinion. Cardio is the worst lol.

Same here.

OP-have you tried any bootcamp classes or circuit style training? It's not quite "lifting heavy" but a good class can give you a solid mix of cardio and strength training. I got in awesome shape with circuits long before I found my love of lifting.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    The best answer for me is I can let my mind wander while doing cardio, but I have to pay attention when strength training. Second best is I can't do the training I want at home for free.
  • melodyis4reals
    melodyis4reals Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Any programs that you can recommend? I don't have a personal trainer and do all my exercise at home. I can buy weights or a bench if I need off of Craigslist.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options

this

cosign
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts always comes highly recommended if you want to lift

If you want a fun at home workout-try the tough mudder "training" on their website. Lots of body weight exercises, minimal equipment needed.

Their are also tons of YouTube pages that use Dumbbells and little equipment. I like Melissa bender fitness myself, but I'm sure others will be along with more recommendations.