What are your trigger foods?

Options
If I pick up a potato chip or a candy bar, I'm doomed. Those are trigger foods for me. Before I would go on a binge and start eating a bag of chips and take a trip to McDonalds. It wasn't anything for me to order a Big Mac, Large Fry, a Hamburger, a Chocolate Shake, and a Large Diet Coke. Then I would repeat this over and over again.

When I finally took off my weight, I knew I had to stay away from McDonalds, and candy bars. There are certain chips that I will eat but follow the serving size on the bag. I have been able to modify and discipline myself to be able to do this. If it got out of control, I pulled that group of food out of my meal plan.

I realize I will always be faced with temptations. It is what I do at that moment. The good part is I am in control and I can choose to eat it or not. I look at my small clothes and pictures of my fat/obese pictures and I usually lose the craving or at least get rid of it.

I'd like to know what you do with trigger foods and deal with cravings?

Replies

• Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    My triggers are definitely bad carbs. Pretzel crisps, Cheez-Its, Goldfish crackers, etc. I deal with them by not buying them, not making eye contact with the vending machine at work, doling out very controlled portions and eating them with other things so that I feel satisfied, i.e. Pretzel crisps with hummus. 10 measly pretzels isn't enough to fill me up, but if I pair it with a couple tablespoons of hummus I'm good. But I only keep that stuff at work if I buy it at all so I can't just pig out on a whole bag in one sitting.
  • BarbaraR5563
    BarbaraR5563 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Noodle797 wrote: »
    My triggers are definitely bad carbs. Pretzel crisps, Cheez-Its, Goldfish crackers, etc. I deal with them by not buying them, not making eye contact with the vending machine at work, doling out very controlled portions and eating them with other things so that I feel satisfied, i.e. Pretzel crisps with hummus. 10 measly pretzels isn't enough to fill me up, but if I pair it with a couple tablespoons of hummus I'm good. But I only keep that stuff at work if I buy it at all so I can't just pig out on a whole bag in one sitting.

Great thinking! I guess if I kept a big bag of chips I could find myself easily "grazing."
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    cookies and brownies....can't have them in the house. I can handle dark chocolate and it works for those cravings. I also can eat them in moderation. Cookies (chocolate chip) and brownies I can't seem to limit my intake at this point! :smile:

I can have a bag of chips around and totally ignore it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Eating more fullness-enhancing foods like protein, fat, and veggies has helped with not having cravings.

For managing temptation, I don't have Oreos or Girl Scout Cookies in the house. I no longer buy pints of Ben & Jerry's, but am ok with the 4 ounce mini cups, which don't come in my favorite flavors. For pizza, we buy just enough so that there aren't leftovers. We've been splitting it - am going to try to give him a piece from my share next time. We don't get pizza very often.

(Is there a way to search my food diary to see the last time I had a certain food?)
  • BarbaraR5563
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    cookies and brownies....can't have them in the house. I can handle dark chocolate and it works for those cravings. I also can eat them in moderation. Cookies (chocolate chip) and brownies I can't seem to limit my intake at this point! :smile:

I can have a bag of chips around and totally ignore it.

All of those foods are triggers! I don't have them in my apt. You are very disciplined! I learn a lot from you all!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    potato chips and tortilla chips are really the only things that get me mindlessly reaching for more. I don't eat them often these days and when I do, I usually opt for one of those small lunch bags rather than keeping a full sized bag of chips lying about.
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Diet soda
  • BarbaraR5563
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    potato chips and tortilla chips are really the only things that get me mindlessly reaching for more. I don't eat them often these days and when I do, I usually opt for one of those small lunch bags rather than keeping a full sized bag of chips lying about.

I love tortilla chips and potato chips big time. I cannot have them in my house. I just don't eat them. I eat a few pretzels for that carb fix. Ha Ha.
  • blondx7
    blondx7 Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Red Vines, Haribo gummies...luscious luscious fruity candies
  • lejenn
    lejenn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Cookies. Back in my fattest days I could easily polish off a whole package of Chips Ahoy in one sitting. Never again! :neutral: I don't keep them in the house anymore.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Noodle797 wrote: »

That is exactly my list!!!!
  • BarbaraR5563
    Options
    lejenn wrote: »
    Cookies. Back in my fattest days I could easily polish off a whole package of Chips Ahoy in one sitting. Never again! :neutral: I don't keep them in the house anymore.

I will tell you I could polish off a whole bag of Chips Ahoy too! Now that my stomach is shrunk and I am eating right, I wouldn't think of putting one of those in my mouth. Too tempting!
  • Suzley
    Suzley Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Foods I cannot buy anymore: boxes of cereal, crisps, any biscuits, ice cream, the list is endless. But once I start on these I just can't stop. If it's not in the cupboard I can't over eat! However...I don't deny myself a treat now and then if I'm out! I'd be too embarrassed to binge in public!!!
    I'm realising that this is a life change and not a diet so no food is banned, I've had to stop letting the food choose me! Good luck everyone in staying positive :)
  • BarbaraR5563
    Options
    Suzley wrote: »
    Foods I cannot buy anymore: boxes of cereal, crisps, any biscuits, ice cream, the list is endless. But once I start on these I just can't stop. If it's not in the cupboard I can't over eat! However...I don't deny myself a treat now and then if I'm out! I'd be too embarrassed to binge in public!!!
    I'm realising that this is a life change and not a diet so no food is banned, I've had to stop letting the food choose me! Good luck everyone in staying positive :)

Great mind set and attitude. You get it! It's not a diet it is a life change. :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I have entirely changed how I think about food and its role in my life. There were foods that were terrible triggers for me in the past, but I no longer have trouble consuming them in moderation or having them around the house.

I might time when I eat certain things and that could be playing a part in this... I really haven't analyzed how this change took place.

I'm pretty bull-headed when I get the idea that I'm going to do something for myself. For example, I learned to crochet when I was a young girl, but knitting and I never got along. A few years ago, I'd had enough of my knitting derp and told myself that I was going to learn. Well, I'm a proficient knitter now.

The whole thing with me and my trigger foods was the same way. I pretty much just told myself to get over it and I ... guess I did. It happened without any fuss or anything, because I expected it to work. I've had enough experience with my own stubbornness in the past ;)
  • BarbaraR5563
    Options
    I have entirely changed how I think about food and its role in my life. There were foods that were terrible triggers for me in the past, but I no longer have trouble consuming them in moderation or having them around the house.

I might time when I eat certain things and that could be playing a part in this... I really haven't analyzed how this change took place.

I'm pretty bull-headed when I get the idea that I'm going to do something for myself. For example, I learned to crochet when I was a young girl, but knitting and I never got along. A few years ago, I'd had enough of my knitting derp and told myself that I was going to learn. Well, I'm a proficient knitter now.

The whole thing with me and my trigger foods was the same way. I pretty much just told myself to get over it and I ... guess I did. It happened without any fuss or anything, because I expected it to work. I've had enough experience with my own stubbornness in the past ;)

Carol in this instance your stubbornness is definitely an asset for you! Congratulations on your life changes!!!
  • garydeinert
    garydeinert Posts: 106 Member
    Options

I'm very impressed you can keep these things in your house without bingeing... I can only long for the day. Potato chips, tortilla chips, Cheez-Its... if we buy them, they are gone. Keep up the good work. Any tips or techniques you use to avoid the binge?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I love tortilla chips and potato chips big time. I cannot have them in my house. I just don't eat them. I eat a few pretzels for that carb fix. Ha Ha.

I eat plenty of carbs so not worried about that in the least...it's just that chips and whatnot are just really easy to mow down without thinking about it.

I'm an endurance rider, so I tend to carb it up pretty good.
  • impromark
    impromark Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    A buffet is a trigger for me. I'm naturally frugal, so any time I feel like I need to justify the cost of what I'm spending, I always end up gorging myself at the all-you-can-eat. Luckily, I've learned to avoid those places altogether under regular circumstances. And when work conferences and their buffets happen, I'm similarly toast.

Mark