Half marathon after baby?

Options
So I've had a baby 6 months ago. And I've just signed up for a half marathon in October.
I'm still breastfeeding, and plan to carry on until my lo in 1yo.
I run a half marathon before I fell pregnant back in early 2012.
Now I want to get back into running, and feeling good about myself.
I also have a 25lbs of baby weight to lose :(
I'm looking for someone who's done it, or is doing it at the moment, as I could use some support. Also any info or experiences would be appreciated. I would also like to be reassured that's is safe and possible to do it.
I'm doing insanity program and running 2 miles most days, but only started last week. I think I'll probably stop insanity and up my running, as it would be too much to do both.
Thanks in advance ;)

Replies

• AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Bump?
  • bottom
    bottom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I ran a full marathon eight months after my son was born. I was breast feeding at the time. I ran with a team, which practiced over an hour away each Saturday. It's possible, but you've got to really want it. I've read that some babies can get picky with lactic acid in the milk, but mine didn't have a problem with it. Feel free to add me of you want more details. :)
  • Jay_83
    Jay_83 Posts: 446
    Options
    I ran a half 8 months after I had my daughter. I was bf'ding as well and did up to 17 months. I just had to make sure my running bra wasnt too tight, or it was uncomfortable. It is completely healthy to train for a half when you are still bf'ding, especially b/c you have done a marathon before. That is what your body is used to. I would suggest listening to your body and whatever feels comfortable, do it. Drink LOTS of water, seeing that you need it for running as well as bf'ding. You may also have to increase your calories. I had stopped running for awhile and now am getting back into it, been running 5k every other dayish. My daughter is almost 21 months.
    Good luck! :bigsmile:
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, it's good to know I'm not on my own!
    I keep hearing about being very prone to injury after having a baby, because of the hormones still lingering in your body?
    Did you get any? I've been ok this far...
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I ran a half at five months pregnant and again when my daughter was six months. No injury problems, and I didn't get much training in due to being hit hard with the flu. I guess my underlying fitness from pre-pregnancy helped. Neither race was fast - both about 20 minutes over my PB, but it was all about completion and getting back not the running mode. Go for it - you'll love feeling super-fit again.