Handy portion tip for junk food lovers / snackers

Options
faithyang
faithyang Posts: 297 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I found a really handy hint from one of the food forums and would like to share it.

For those with binge or snack attacks especially!

Snacks and junk food always comes in massive boxes because manufacturers earn more by pushing larger portions that cost less to them to produce for the extra dollars they earn per unit. That too and psychologically we eat more when we have a large portion of anything in front of us. Individual portion sizes sold at the supermarkets are also more expensive.

So it can be a battle of wills for those of us mere mortals who have not / or don't see the point of due to practicality or whatever, cleared our entire home free of junk or snacks.

If you have a box of biscuits or snacks, get back home, straight away PORTION IT IN HANDY LITTLE SNACK ZIPLOCK BAGS PER SERVING SIZE OR DESIRED SERVING SIZE.

IMG_0217.png

Similar to nuts and trail mixes, it makes the whole process of eating snacks less cumbersome, less to think about, less to get conflicted about and provides a very visceral experience of consciously having to reach for ANOTHER PORTIONED BAG rather than mindlessly dipping your hands into the box.

I just tried it a day or two ago and it is pretty helpful esp with people like myself with this organisational OCD itches...not to mention it really keeps the junk food "fresh" (lol...not that they need to be since they last forever).

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of plastic. You must hate the earth.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

This made me giggle. I used to do the same, but then I hate most things, the world is no exception.

OP-glad this helps you! This helped me a lot before I started using a food scale-but it never helped my bingeing. I would just eat every single baggy and basically wasted a bunch of plastic and time :smile:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

This made me giggle. I used to do the same, but then I hate most things, the world is no exception.

OP-glad this helps you! This helped me a lot before I started using a food scale-but it never helped my bingeing. I would just eat every single baggy and basically wasted a bunch of plastic and time :smile:

me too!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I just weigh out stuff on a paper towel or a bowl, depending on what it is. Anything that can help break the habit of mindlessly eating out of a large container will probably help, though.
  • faithyang
    Options

That's a bit rich considering we live, thrive and operate in the most excessive, wasteful nations on the planet per capita as compared to the rest of the developing world, probably first or second to Australia.

But if you must know since it seems hip these days to judge people's characters and lives based on a single picture or a post - I reuse my bags. :expressionless:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Then why do Oreo packages keep getting smaller?
  • faithyang
    Options

Haha I think I might graduate on to that in a few weeks when the novelty of pre-portioned bags gets old. :smiley:

I have a food scale...but I don't really use it except for baking. Mine is the cheapo ones I got from one of those $2 stores...that's probably why. :smile:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

So I eat less of them? I like oreos!
  • faithyang
    edited June 2015
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

VERY GOOD POINT. *scratches head*

What comes to mind is...they make it smaller because they figured they can sell the same sh!!t to us at the same price and use their $2,000,000/yr marketing gurus on retainers and billion dollar focus groups and chemical taste teams to tell us its for our own good and health. :smiley:

You have Supersize Me to thank for that.

Hmm..Now you've given me an idea about oreos. :neutral:
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    faithyang wrote: »

Haha I think I might graduate on to that in a few weeks when the novelty of pre-portioned bags gets old. :smiley:

I have a food scale...but I don't really use it except for baking. Mine is the cheapo ones I got from one of those $2 stores...that's probably why. :smile:

I resisted a scale for so long because I always thought it was obsessive or crazy for some reason. In reality-it is SO MUCH EASIER! (Not to mention accurate)

I still tend to eat a "serving", mostly be aside in too lazy to do the math. So I weigh out one serving and log it as such. But-it is nice to be able to have just a little extra-and log accordingly. It's second nature at this point.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options

Recycling exists for a reason.
  • faithyang
    edited June 2015
    Options
    faithyang wrote: »

I resisted a scale for so long because I always thought it was obsessive or crazy for some reason. In reality-it is SO MUCH EASIER! (Not to mention accurate)

I still tend to eat a "serving", mostly be aside in too lazy to do the math. So I weigh out one serving and log it as such. But-it is nice to be able to have just a little extra-and log accordingly. It's second nature at this point.

Yeah I know! I notice it gives you so much more control and ease over the accuracy of portions after I saw a friend weigh out her baby food (new experience observed in person easier to take on I guess?) with so much ease and without going through the process of 'is this a portion size?' mental maze. It made an impression on me because she was super multi-tasking her crying baby alongside trying to prepare his food.

There are end of financial year discounts all over now - I might pop out and check out some good ones. Do you reckon the ones with bowls are better, or the flat ones?
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    This is what I do! (With baggies I bought from reuseit.com!)
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    i do the same with all my food..only i use Tupperware. Yeah i know i am old fashion. But it is soooo handy.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I bought some ziploc snack bags for hiking recently, and when I took one out I realized it actually had volume measurements right on the bag. Very convenient.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Giggled here too

Have to say those are the most up appealing looking mix of weird foods ...what is it I see ...looks like frosted wheat cereal, marshmallows, nuts and smarties ...bleurgh ...
  • faithyang
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Giggled here too

Have to say those are the most up appealing looking mix of weird foods ...what is it I see ...looks like frosted wheat cereal, marshmallows, nuts and smarties ...bleurgh ...

Lol I agree - its a stock image. :wink:
    I couldn't be arsed to pull open my pantry to snap a pic of my junk food stash.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I bought some ziploc snack bags for hiking recently, and when I took one out I realized it actually had volume measurements right on the bag. Very convenient.

But... volume? For solids? Nope...
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

But... volume? For solids? Nope...

I still weigh for calorie dense things like nuts or dried fruit, but if it's a small serving of something like popcorn or fresh fruit, I'm ok with an error margin. If I were to gain weight, or get stalled while trying to lose, I might weigh everything just to be sure, but right now everything is going fine and I don't really feel like weighing grapes to find out if my 1/2 cup is 31 calories or 29 or 33.

• 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    One thing I do that works for me is cut frozen pizzas up into fourths or thirds and then only bake one of those at a time.